SMP for crown?

Hey everyone, hope you all are doing well!
I am considering getting micro pigmentation for my crown area.

Currently on finasteride (for over a year now!), no new growth but no real hair loss.
Do you think it's a good idea or if I'm a good candidate? :)

(Had a FUE hair transplant on my hairline last September)

Thanks!

image.png.976e47b7e833415681c67aa3bb319756.pngimage.png.15ebf9de50a0d7db3a1d965c45e1db3b.png

Have you ever used Toppik? I would try that first. It will give you a sense of what can be accomplished with SMP.  Yes, I think it would help you minimize contrast and give you the look of a fuller set of hair instantly.  Do keep in mind this is organic ink and is metabolized by the body.  Lasting effect is about 3 years when done correctly.  

Not sure if the look you have is haircut related.  I would encourage you to consider all other modalities, (Rogaine, PRP and Laser). 

• Like 2

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

46 minutes ago, LaserCaps said:

Have you ever used Toppik? I would try that first. It will give you a sense of what can be accomplished with SMP.  Yes, I think it would help you minimize contrast and give you the look of a fuller set of hair instantly.  Do keep in mind this is organic ink and is metabolized by the body.  Lasting effect is about 3 years when done correctly.  

Not sure if the look you have is haircut related.  I would encourage you to consider all other modalities, (Rogaine, PRP and Laser). 

Thank you for the response!
I've used toppik in the past, hoping for something a little more permanent, even if it is for three years. :)
Does it disappear completely or leave a slight tint?

Rogaine gives me an allergic reaction unfortunately.

16 minutes ago, SeanToman said:

Thank you for the response!
I've used toppik in the past, hoping for something a little more permanent, even if it is for three years. :)

Rogaine gives me an allergic reaction unfortunately.

Rogaine is now available in pill form.  

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

44 minutes ago, SeanToman said:

I looked into SMP briefly a few years ago for my crown, and was turned off from it because yes, it does fade after 5 years or so. Also the sun makes it fade quicker, so you really do need to put sunscreen on the area or wear a hat. 

For me personally the baggage and maintenance wasn't worth it. 

Is there a specific reason you can't get a transplant on the crown?

8 minutes ago, SadMan2021 said:

I looked into SMP briefly a few years ago for my crown, and was turned off from it because yes, it does fade after 5 years or so. Also the sun makes it fade quicker, so you really do need to put sunscreen on the area or wear a hat. 

For me personally the baggage and maintenance wasn't worth it. 

Is there a specific reason you can't get a transplant on the crown?

Thank you,
I have thin hair and have already done 3900 grafts! (eep).
Any more might be too much.  Fives years might be acceptable depending on price, thank you for the reference.  Did you find an alternative for yourself?

If finasteride has halted your loss for now, you've got enough left to make hair fibers like toppik work for as long as you want to bother applying it each day. SMP can also work, basically like the hair fibers but you don't need to apply it daily, just get it 'touched up,' maybe every 2 or 3 years, possibly up to 5 years depending on how quickly your body breaks down the ink, and how well you keep the skin moisturized and out of the sun/protected with sun screen.

If you go this route, also be aware that down the road you made need to still get an occasional hair transplant into the crown area if your hair does eventually thin some more. The guy in the topic below has had hair transplants and he is using SMP in his crown area.

5 hours ago, ciaus said:

If finasteride has halted your loss for now, you've got enough left to make hair fibers like toppik work for as long as you want to bother applying it each day. SMP can also work, basically like the hair fibers but you don't need to apply it daily, just get it 'touched up,' maybe every 2 or 3 years, possibly up to 5 years depending on how quickly your body breaks down the ink, and how well you keep the skin moisturized and out of the sun/protected with sun screen.

If you go this route, also be aware that down the road you made need to still get an occasional hair transplant into the crown area if your hair does eventually thin some more. The guy in the topic below has had hair transplants and he is using SMP in his crown area.

Great reference, thank you. :)