Can minoxidil make an overharvested donor thicker?

Icicle

No.

Minoxidil can improve the health and therefore, the calibre, of hair that hasn't advanced too far on the process of miniaturisation. However, your grafts should have been taken from your safe donor area, where hair has not been affected by miniaturisation, therefore adding minoxidil to it will yield no effect.

1 hour ago, Hayden87 said:

No.

Minoxidil can improve the health and therefore, the calibre, of hair that hasn't advanced too far on the process of miniaturisation. However, your grafts should have been taken from your safe donor area, where hair has not been affected by miniaturisation, therefore adding minoxidil to it will yield no effect.

Thanks. If you are not sure about using finasteride post transplant and decide later down the line for instance in a year will there be any loss?

21 minutes ago, Icicle said:

Thanks. If you are not sure about using finasteride post transplant and decide later down the line for instance in a year will there be any loss?

If your hair loss has not stabilised and you are actively losing hair and do not start Finasteride or any other treatment, you will continue to lose the hair that is susceptible to male pattern baldness.

Your transplanted hairs should be safe, as they are taken from the area of your scalp that is not susceptible. However, if you still have native hair on the top of your head, you could continue to lose that hair, which would result in decreased density.

I'm speaking from personal experience here!

27 minutes ago, Hayden87 said:

If your hair loss has not stabilised and you are actively losing hair and do not start Finasteride or any other treatment, you will continue to lose the hair that is susceptible to male pattern baldness.

Your transplanted hairs should be safe, as they are taken from the area of your scalp that is not susceptible. However, if you still have native hair on the top of your head, you could continue to lose that hair, which would result in decreased density.

I'm speaking from personal experience here!

Thanks for that input my man. How much hair did you lose and how old are you? Have you started using it and are you happy with your choice? Also did you or do you know anyone that tried any natural remedies that worked?

Just now, Icicle said:

Thanks for that input my man. How much hair did you lose and how old are you? Have you started using it and are you happy with your choice? Also did you or do you know anyone that tried any natural remedies that worked?

I'm currently 34. I had a receded hairline by the time I was 20 and was a Norwood 5A by my mid-twenties. Just after I turned 29 in 2016 I had approx 2,900 grafts transplanted into my frontal scalp and started using 5% Minoxidil twice daily. I've never used Finasteride, didn't want to risk the side effects.

For a while the Minoxidil seemed to beef up my existing native hairs on the top of my head quite well, to the point that I started taking my hair for granted and not always using it as religiously as I should have. After a while my hair started thinning but I didn't pay too much attention to it, as I still had a decent hairline in the mirror.

Then when Covid hit, I had quite a bit going on with work changes and relocating back to my home country and my hair-care just ended. Within a year I became a full blown NW6, with just my transplanted grafts hanging on at the front.

I'm currently booked in for a second HT later this year.

To answer your last question, I have never tried natural remedies, nor do I know anyone who has.

4 minutes ago, Hayden87 said:

I'm currently 34. I had a receded hairline by the time I was 20 and was a Norwood 5A by my mid-twenties. Just after I turned 29 in 2016 I had approx 2,900 grafts transplanted into my frontal scalp and started using 5% Minoxidil twice daily. I've never used Finasteride, didn't want to risk the side effects.

For a while the Minoxidil seemed to beef up my existing native hairs on the top of my head quite well, to the point that I started taking my hair for granted and not always using it as religiously as I should have. After a while my hair started thinning but I didn't pay too much attention to it, as I still had a decent hairline in the mirror.

Then when Covid hit, I had quite a bit going on with work changes and relocating back to my home country and my hair-care just ended. Within a year I became a full blown NW6, with just my transplanted grafts hanging on at the front.

I'm currently booked in for a second HT later this year.

To answer your last question, I have never tried natural remedies, nor do I know anyone who has.

Thanks. I’m 38 and thinking of how to make sure I can give my hair the best chance post HT. I also am planning on having another in a year’s time.

Some natural remedies.

You can try scalp Massages. I put an alarm in my phone to remind me to give myself a 1 min scalp massage every 3 hours. Do a warm oil hair treatment 1x a week. Use organic shampoo, eat a clean diet rich in vegetable, protein, nuts, lots of water. Microneedle with a dr pen, NOT derma roller which can damage hair and its also not the correct method to Microneedle. Try Rosemary oil with Jojobo oil on scalp and leave over night 3x a week. A study mentioned its as affective as Rogaine. Fin shouldn't affect your transplant result but help keep your native hair. I'm thinking of getting on fin but scared of the side effect.😔

Edited by Smacias15