Numbness on recipient site 5 Months post OP (4000 Grafts)

Rooter

Hi all,

I´ve tried to google around but could only find unspecific answers mostly posted on some clinic websites from the provider themselves that "longer lasting numbness in recipient area might take up to 6 months+ post OP". While this might be true, reading this on a clinic website is a bit generic as they of course post that to not worry any of their patients. ( those are random clinics, not where I have been). My doc says its all normal, but I am not sure about that because I dont really read that here often (or at all) that people still have a numb sensation after such a long time post OP.

It doesnt hurt, or I dont feel anything wrong generally so thats fine. But when I touch my recipient area with the tip of my fingers it feels like the tissue when you got a jab at the dentist.

I understand a lot of nerves have been cut during implantation and this takes time to heal but now after 5 months, with no real improvement over the last month, I am starting to get a bit worried.

Has anyone here had that and what could be the next steps ? Seeing a Neurologist ? Is there actually anything that can be done ? (medication, needling to increase blood flow whatever ?) 

thanks

When nerves are severed, they take a really long time to recover. Sometimes the damage can be permanent though. I'd say at the year mark, you'll know that whatever sensation you have is likely permanent. Unfortunately, I don't think anything can be done to fix this. I've had other surgeries before and had nerves damaged that took almost a year but never really fully healed. The good news is it's just superficial nerves and therefore only causes a weird sensation. 

I'd say at 5 months you still have time to heal though so give it more time. 

You can see a nuerologist for a real medical opinion, since I'm clearly not a Dr, but to my knowledge no cure exists. 

Edited by JoeMan

On 2/19/2022 at 12:25 AM, Rooter said:

Hi all,

I´ve tried to google around but could only find unspecific answers mostly posted on some clinic websites from the provider themselves that "longer lasting numbness in recipient area might take up to 6 months+ post OP". While this might be true, reading this on a clinic website is a bit generic as they of course post that to not worry any of their patients. ( those are random clinics, not where I have been). My doc says its all normal, but I am not sure about that because I dont really read that here often (or at all) that people still have a numb sensation after such a long time post OP.

It doesnt hurt, or I dont feel anything wrong generally so thats fine. But when I touch my recipient area with the tip of my fingers it feels like the tissue when you got a jab at the dentist.

I understand a lot of nerves have been cut during implantation and this takes time to heal but now after 5 months, with no real improvement over the last month, I am starting to get a bit worried.

Has anyone here had that and what could be the next steps ? Seeing a Neurologist ? Is there actually anything that can be done ? (medication, needling to increase blood flow whatever ?) 

thanks

It's very uncommon but this can happen in the recipient site, especially with inexperienced surgeons. I have a small procedure just on my hairline and barely had any sensation return until 6 months post op. over a year out I'm just over half way back to normal. I saw a neurologist about it who reassuringly said that full sensation will return but it could take 2 years or even more. where  on your scalp is the recipient site?

4 minutes ago, BurnieBurns said:

It's very uncommon but this can happen in the recipient site, especially with inexperienced surgeons. I have a small procedure just on my hairline and barely had any sensation return until 6 months post op. over a year out I'm just over half way back to normal. I saw a neurologist about it who reassuringly said that full sensation will return but it could take 2 years or even more. where  on your scalp is the recipient site?

Front-middle. I have documented my journey as well, you can find it under my profile i guess. Surgeon unexperienced also not the case, the are in business like 20 years or so. 

Nerves are tricky. Surgery will definitely disrupt and traumatize them. Everyone is different so sometimes people won't respond to healing properly as well. Just saying this as the surgeon may have done everything correctly. These are the dangers of any surgery. 

• Like 1

Looks good aesthetically, and yes, that is a high level clinic - at the end of the day rare complications are always possible even is the best hands. For what it's worth, if you have some sensation by this point that's a good sign it will continue to improve slowly but surely. Personally, I wouldn't be thinking about a neurologist for at least a year post op

4 minutes ago, Rooter said:

Front-middle. I have documented my journey as well, you can find it under my profile i guess. Surgeon unexperienced also not the case, the are in business like 20 years or so. 

Good responses and I especially agree with "JoeMan".  My recipient area felt numb for many months and I'm sure it never recovered 100% but I've also never had an issue with it or felt it was detrimental in any way.  Hopefully you will fully recover and not have any issues as well.

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.