How to know if transplanted follicule has died?

4 hours ago, Inch6 said:

Lets say I transplant 2000 graft and 70% survive, what happens to the remaining 30%? Do they get eaten alive and absorbed by the skin or do they get rejected by the skin and pop out?

Look, i came across your previous thread and if you still thinking of a hair mill, please don't. 

Any top reputable clinic, like say Eugenix even on their low package will probably get you a better result than 70% survival. I'm assuming even their cheapest package is now DHI and that should mean 90%+ survival. 

Hair Mills will say that you need 2000 grafts, butcher a bunch more and implant maybe 2000 but because they screwed up, they maybe took 500-1000 more that got completely destroyed. On top of that, out of the 2000, if 70% grow. You lost another 600 grafts or so. 1100-1600 grafts being lost is a LOT! 

33 minutes ago, NARMAK said:

Look, i came across your previous thread and if you still thinking of a hair mill, please don't. 

Any top reputable clinic, like say Eugenix even on their low package will probably get you a better result than 70% survival. I'm assuming even their cheapest package is now DHI and that should mean 90%+ survival. 

Hair Mills will say that you need 2000 grafts, butcher a bunch more and implant maybe 2000 but because they screwed up, they maybe took 500-1000 more that got completely destroyed. On top of that, out of the 2000, if 70% grow. You lost another 600 grafts or so. 1100-1600 grafts being lost is a LOT! 

LOL no I'm not thinking about hair mill trust me, but I got curious about what happens to the grafts when they don't survive. How could someone notice that a graft has not survived, even if I would go to a top clinic there must be a few grafts that won't survive but is it possible to detect them, i.e do they get pushed out or do they get absolved? 

3 hours ago, Inch6 said:

LOL no I'm not thinking about hair mill trust me, but I got curious about what happens to the grafts when they don't survive. How could someone notice that a graft has not survived, even if I would go to a top clinic there must be a few grafts that won't survive but is it possible to detect them, i.e do they get pushed out or do they get absolved? 

Basically the dermal papilla is usually what's taken our and transplanted in the grafts, that's why initially you see something and then it sheds. 

Then the new hair grows again, but if you don't see a hair grow where it was implanted after like say 3 months, it's more than likely dead and not survived. Another way to usually tell is having high resolution pictures of the transplanted areas and counting how many grafts are there, then check the same area again like 3 months later at a similarly short hair style. 

It's not a perfect science but it is generally a good indicator for graft survival. As i said, 70% is low. Most reputable clinics can get 90%+ these days. 

• Like 1

Inch6,

That’s an interesting question. Let me first start by saying that it’s not typical to only see 70% growth. If you’re going to a surgeon with an outstanding reputation, this question won’t even need to be asked.

Now to answer your question, it could be either. For example, if you went to a surgeon/clinic that’s brand new aka a neophyte or someone unskilled, follicles could be transsected or damaged during the extraction or placement process in which case, the follicle would die and the transplanted hair would just wither away or fall out. Now in terms of what happens to the follicle and I’m only guessing here since I’m not a doctor, I would think one of two things would happen. One, the follicle would shrink and die similar to follicles affected by male pattern baldness or… the follicle would remain dormant underneath the surface of the scalp essentially for life.  But given how the body works, I would think that a dead follicle would essentially wither away or as you put it, become absorbed rather than just sit there dormant forever.

But in terms of the actual transplanted hair, most if not all of it will typically shed between 4 to 6 weeks after hair transplant surgery anyway, so for the damaged ones or the ones that don’t grow, you just wouldn’t see anything else happen above the surface of the scalp.

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant
  • Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.