Transplanted Hair Shedding

brianK

I'm more than 6 weeks post-op from my 1600 FUs hair transplant. For the last two weeks I have been shedding some of my transplanted hair. Is it normal to see transplanted follicles fallout with what looks like a tiny piece of rice at the end of the follicle?

Also some areas of my scalp feel bumpy and itchy where the transplanted hairs are. These raised bumps look like a combination of dead skin and Rogaine residual (it's white and flaky, like dandruff). I started rubbing, picking and gently scratching some of these bumpy areas and what looked like white, flaky dead skin and transplanted hairs fell out. Should I not be rubbing my scalp where the transplanted hairs are? Or does it not matter because the hairs are supposed to fall out anyway? I figure new hair growth is starting to grow from underneath these bumps on my scalp. I don't know, I'm confused. Anyone experience this?

Brian

I'm more than 6 weeks post-op from my 1600 FUs hair transplant. For the last two weeks I have been shedding some of my transplanted hair. Is it normal to see transplanted follicles fallout with what looks like a tiny piece of rice at the end of the follicle?

Also some areas of my scalp feel bumpy and itchy where the transplanted hairs are. These raised bumps look like a combination of dead skin and Rogaine residual (it's white and flaky, like dandruff). I started rubbing, picking and gently scratching some of these bumpy areas and what looked like white, flaky dead skin and transplanted hairs fell out. Should I not be rubbing my scalp where the transplanted hairs are? Or does it not matter because the hairs are supposed to fall out anyway? I figure new hair growth is starting to grow from underneath these bumps on my scalp. I don't know, I'm confused. Anyone experience this?

Brian

Brian,

everything sounds normal. You are just shedding your grafts. Which is completely normal. Also, you can expect dandruff for awhile. I would suggest using conditioner. It will help your scalp condition a lot.

The pumps are probably just minor coblestoning from the grafts. I had it really bad, but they went away after about 3 months.

Just sit back and relax, it will be a bumpy ride for the next few months.

You are on the correct path.

Good Luck

brian, im pretty sure what youre going through is normal. Im pretty puzzled that you actually have transplanted hairs left, i have maybe 20 or so and thats it. All of them fell out in the last 2 weeks or so. For the flaking, Dr. Cooley recommended me to use Aqua Glycolic shampoo alternating it with the Nizoral. Hope this helps

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

I'd say I have more than half of my transplanted grafts left (who really knows, it looks that way, I could have less than what I imagine). Some of my grafts have been growing, and I am seeing new hair growth (nothing major) where some of my transplanted hairs had shed. I went through a big shed today, one of my biggest. It alarmed me. I picked off some of those annoying white, flakey bumps on my scalp and it definitely was pastey residual (dead skin and who knows what) clumping around my grafts which were probably wanting to fall out anyway. I've had no bleeding where my grafts have shed or I picked off (I read somewhere this is a good sign if there is no sign of bleeding). You bet, I have been getting tons of dandruff, even with using Nizoral 2%. I wonder if I've been cleaning my scalp as thoroughly as I should. Who knows. I'll add conditioner from now on.

Anyway, as always, I appreciate your input and advice. Thank you...again.

Is it normal to see transplanted follicles fallout with what looks like a tiny piece of rice at the end of the follicle? Brian

Brian...if you are getting something like a piece of rice at the end of your falling hair, contact your doctor, as this is a graft. "IF" the hair is coming out with merely some dead skin attached to it, this is normal..but if its truly what looks like a piece of rice attached to it, this is a graft, and not normal..you should only lose a few grafts after surgery, but losing the "hairs" is very normal..the bulb stays in your scalp, and will generate new growth sometime around the 3 month period.

4600 grafts/ 12/10/2003/ Dr. Jerry Wong

Aren't you glad you know me, and have such easy access to my dementia???

How common is it NOT to have shedding grafts? I'm 2 months post-op, and it looks like most of the grafts are still in place; what's more they're starting to grow. This looks like a good sign, but as it's not what my surgeon told me to expect ( expect 'em to shed, restart after 3 months )

I contacted my surgeon's office about this but got no response. Maybe they think I need no reassurance, as it's proof of a good job.

I'd appreciate some feedback from you gurus, avatars, kungfumasters, savioursoftheworld etc.

Kez...occasionally there are genetic mutants like yourself, who are lucky enough not to lose your transplanted hair...who knows what the magic DNA combination is, but sounds like youre one of the lucky few who probably wont lose too many of your new seedlings...Werewolfhead had 5800 grafts in one session, and according to Jotronic, didnt shed hardly any at all...

4600 grafts/ 12/10/2003/ Dr. Jerry Wong

Aren't you glad you know me, and have such easy access to my dementia???

Kez, I was actually happy to see mine come out, but, of course, sad at the same time because I didnt want to see them go. The only thing I would be worried about if they stayed is how "prickly" they would be. The implanted graphs just kind of seemed "stiffer" than the surrounding hairs in which they were placed to me.

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Thanks for the reassurance lads.

Rugger - you've blown my cover. I always knew I was a genetic mutant, in so many wonderful ways - but never dreamed it would extend to my scalp.

"There he goes - one of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind - never even considered for mass production" - Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas

socialdrinker:

>> how "prickly" they would be. The implanted graphs just kind of seemed "stiffer" than the surrounding hairs >>

I also found some stiffness, and a general sensitivity to touch in the scalp. Then today went for a swim in the ocean and exposed the scalp to the salt water for the first time since HT ( 2 months). Many folk swear by the healing power of the sea, and I must say, after showering and shampooing, the grafts feel as smooth as a baby's bottom.

So get thee down to Myrtle Beach and dive in!

The transplanted hair is like that at first. After a few cuts it settles down. Also the new hair is not thinning, while the other hair is.. thats why it may appear differently.

My transplanted hair after 1 year of getting an ht is starting to lose its girth. unfortunatly the other hair on my head is still thin so i just keep it short so the hair blends. well in my eyes it does somewhat icon_wink.gif

630 FUT - 8/27/03

2200 FUT - 5/20/05

2000 FUT - 12/15/07

"i haven't been this bald since.... well... since I was born!"