Fan-Shaped Hairline Direction; Rigid Untameable Hair

I am a few years post HT. The hairline, density, and lack of scarring is great. The angles seem fine. But the transplant hair is much more wavy/curly, coarse, and untame-able than the native hair. 

I keep on internally debating back and forth the reasons for my rigid, untameable transplant hair. Mind you, ALL my transplant hair has the same kinky/curly texture, its not one section or side, or an isolated graft here and there. 

Some days I think the doctor put the hair direction in wrong. But then other days, I think how my donor hair truly is more coarse, and does get curly at length, while my native scalp stays straight and soft regardless of length. And that makes me think perhaps the hairline direction and angles were fine and the cause is the donor hair itself just significantly has a different texture than the native hairline hair. 

Also, my transplant hairline looks like #6, which is "fan-shaped". This image shows 6 examples of different natural hairlines. 

I've been thinking about getting a repair job if the hair directions can be improved. But I'm nervous, because because what if the cause really is my donor hair is just really coarse and rough, then even if I spent 20-30k and went to Dr. Konior or Dr. Bisanga, wouldn't my hair still come in coarse and curly? 

Questions: 1) Is #6 actually a common/valid direction for hairlines? I can't tell my natural direction bc it is buried behind the dense transplant hair

2) Say #6 is a natural direction and does match my native hair. What other reasons besides direction could cause uncompromisingly rigid and curly hair? Can it just be how my donor hair naturally is?

3) What would a repair job even look like? If this really is just how my donor hair acts at length, am I SOL for this issue?

****too lazy to take pictures of my hair at the moment. Just imagine straight, thick, soft, and compliant native hair. With a transplanted hairline and temples that are also thick, but rigid, curly, and un-tameable without using product

Hairline Direction.png

Edited by SadMan2021

• Moderators

On a full head of hair, the hair on the back and sides does not always match the top. Sometimes the back is very thick and wavy even if the top and front is straight. Many men don't grow their hair lengthy on the back and sides these days, so they don't even know what their hair is actually like in those areas. My guess is that if you were to let your back grow it would probably match the frontal transplanted hair pretty closely. All that to say you probably can't do much about it as that's how your hair was when it was in the donor area. It will usually straighten out some over a few years to more closely match the original frontal hair, but you said it's already been a few years, so you may not get any more changes to it.

Edited by BeHappy

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.