How Short Haircut with FUE

With FUE the donor harvesting leaves the lower areas as well as the frontal area on the sides untouched. Doesn't this look odd in the future when cutting the hair short as the donor in the middle part will be thinner and then lower part will be more dense. How short can your hair be cut without it looking odd? I attached an image of where hair is harvested from  as youi can see the lower portion is not harvested so it would remain thicker. I would assume if someone cuts their hair to a size 1-3 it would be easily noticeable. Looking for advice.

image.png.a927aa2092e295eee0df792968b5b6c3.png

Even with a 10/10 FUE transplant, a buzz cut will reveal FUE scarring. That being said, if you went to a good place (or even a mediocre one) I really doubt most observers would notice the scarring unless they were specifically looking for it. Of course there are exceptions. 

Don't go through the cost and agony of a hair transplant if its likely you're just going to ultimately buzz it in the end lol. 

Edited by SadMan2021

I am not concerned about the scarring but the un-evenness. If the lower part of the donor is not extracted and the middle area is if i was to get my hair cut to 3 guard wouldn't it be obvious that the middle area in the back of my donor is a lot thinner and then there is an odd thicker band near the lower part where nothing was extracted? Or is this not true? 

• Administrators

It depends on the extraction pattern and the number of grafts, and of course your donor density. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I have my sides shaved between either a 1 or 2 and the donor area isn’t noticeable. It all depends on how you heal as an individual. The Dr I had my FUE with recommended a number 4 to ensure proper coverage of the donor area.