Is it okay to let dissovable sutures dissolve on their own?

I just attempted to have my sutures removed at a CVS MinuteClinic, but it was probably the doctor's first time doing something like this and they left a lot of the sutures intact. Is it okay if I just let them dissolve on their own or could it cause some complications like delay healing of my FUT scar?

Edited by AlexMeister21

That’s the whole premise of dissolvable sutures…think about it.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Some docs use a double closure technique with FUHT…they use dissolvable sutures in the inner dermis layer and removable threads to close the epidermis outer layer…only the outer layer threads are removed, obviously the inner dissolvable threads are not.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

5 minutes ago, AlexMeister21 said:

My clinic tells their patients to remove sutures 2-3 weeks after operation. No need to be condescending.

There was no “condescending” intent with my comment, just making a point that dissolvable means just that…they dissolve on their own.

Gillenator

1 hour ago, AlexMeister21 said:

About 3 weeks after my procedure. I was told to get them removed 2-3 weeks after operation.

Crazy i just had a FUT with DIEP and i noticed your hairline looking like mine lol the front desk was asking me to schedule suture removal as well so I get what you're saying. But on the post op instructions it says to remove them yourself so i get the confusion. I'm going to go in and schedule the suture removal just so they can see how everything is turning out. 

18 hours ago, rambunctious said:

Crazy i just had a FUT with DIEP and i noticed your hairline looking like mine lol the front desk was asking me to schedule suture removal as well so I get what you're saying. But on the post op instructions it says to remove them yourself so i get the confusion. I'm going to go in and schedule the suture removal just so they can see how everything is turning out. 

Nice. Congrats on the transplant. In my post-op packet, it says to get a health practitioner to remove sutures with an instruction page to give to them at the end of the packet. I think I got most of my sutures removed by now. The doctor I went to cut enough of the sutures for them to become destabilized, I suppose, and I was able to pick at the rest of them until they came out of my skin.

• Like 1

MY PCP removed the sutures on my 3rd procedure and she also removed the staples on my last procedure.

Gillenator