Recommendations on deciding between Dr Resul Yaman and Dr Gokhan Gur

londonla

Hi all

I have decided to get a HT during the near future. I am currently talking to three clinics all of whom have quoted me different treatment plans and I was hoping to get some feedback on each. 

Background

Started balding about 3 years ago. I have MPB in my family with all male relatives going bald around 35-40. I expected it to happen to me as well but at that age and not my current age of 26. Have tried different remedies (Changing diet, Fin/Min etc) but have not had great success so think a HT is the way to go. Pictures attached of my current hair status. I also have more pictures on another post if you would like to see more.  The first two pictures are my current state of crown and hairline. I saw a dermatologist recently who diagnosed me as Norwood 4 and she expects Norwood 5 within a year if i take no action.

I tried Fin/Min but had nasty sides so stopped. Started topical solution recently and happy to say no sides but have stopped as all clinics have asked me to stop as I plan to go for a procedure within a month or two. 

1254622810_WhatsAppImage2021-11-15at22_06_02.thumb.jpeg.19357af56cc3428dde4c4ccdfdb57893.jpeg 1246770117_WhatsAppImage2021-11-15at23_53.55(3).thumb.jpeg.07f5f157b15cbd873fa82483744e6572.jpeg

Clinics

At present I have talked to two different clinics and here is what they have told me:

Dr Resul Yaman

• He asked for pictures of my donor area and based on this believes he can extract 4500-5000 grafts from the donor area which would be adequate for the entire crown and frontal area. 
  • He won't do the operation himself, rather he is involved in the design process and oversees the rest of the process but does not actually do any of the procedure. 
  • Cost is 2900 euros. 
  • He has immediate availability over Christmas. 

FueCapilar - Dr Gokhan Gur

• Like Vera, two operations - one for the frontal area and upper parts of the crown, and then another a year later to fill in the rest of the crown.
  • He wants to do in 3000 grafts in each transplant so 6000 in total but spaced a year apart so the donor area has time to recover and regenerate. This is as he believes my donor area is not strong enough - pictures attached. However, he accepts the pictures are not always the best guide, so during the initial consultation he will inspect and if its stronger, then he can take more and maybe even do it in one procedure.
  • Dr Gokhan will carry out the procedure himself if I opt for the VIP package (3750 euros).
  • I have attached pictures of the areas he plans to implant into given what he can make of the donor area from the pictures. 
  • He has asked me to return a year later to either himself or Dr Dogan Turan to fill in the rest. 
  • He also wants me to resume Fin/Min (topical) a month after the operation. 
  • He has availability end of January 2022 onwards. 
  • FA8768A7-2677-4077-9F29-D206023F594F_4_5005_c.jpeg.2d4316e2e8f4f733d8383350bece0086.jpeg44533974-95D3-45C6-8F69-C0D90B64F644_4_5005_c.jpeg.7c017e938a0165ce24105d73ec78a612.jpeg

Donor Area

1344117378_WhatsAppImage2021-11-15at22_10_05.jpeg.4a402323c6155baa8961b0d860e52ff2.jpegFE334A37-A58B-4100-8FDB-0AE36F3EE1E7_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.b2c4330d2dd9794473c67f01f8515114.jpegB4058410-338B-4FB0-B1E9-F4FE0729DE17_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.7a3bd4cce98fda1d694465412b5f501f.jpeg

Conclusion

I know this post is quite long already so will try to sum up as succinctly as possible. 

For Dr Gokhan:

• Conservative management of donor area - avoid overharvesting. 
  • The doctor does the entire procedure himself in VIP package - fine for me price wise. 
  • Splitting the procedure into two - even though they make more money he has not promised he can do the entire thing in one procedure unlike some others, so to me he has ethics. 
  • Lots of good reviews here and other forums for this clinic and doctor in particular. 
  • Even though he thinks he can only take 3000 grafts, he is open to reconsidering this during the first meeting after examining the donor area. 

For Dr Resul:

• The best and speediest communication between me and the coordinator - very quick and speedy, as well as excellent English. 
  • Doing the entire crown and frontal area in one procedure. Saves me money and he thinks he can do this as my donor area is strong unlike Dr Gokhan. 
  • Good reviews in the past but not so many anymore - searching his name he has lots of good reviews and even his own posts but nothing too recent. 
  • Does not recommend me to go on Fin/Min after the procedure as the implanted hairs will be DHT resistant. 

As you can see I am tending for FueCapilar and Dr Gokhan. I would like some feedback on my choices, the criteria I am evaluating them on and any thing I am missing or have not asked from the clinics I should be asking. For me the main question is - is my donor area strong enough for 5000 grafts which would tip me in Dr Resul's camp or should I be conservative and only do 3000 now and then the rest a year later. Appreciate any advice. 

Looking at your pics I would be concerned that your crown already shows the dipping most associated with the higher Norwood levels 6/7. At your age and with the possibility of not staying on meds you need to plan carefully here. Personally i think you should consult with some more clinics. Dr Bicer & Eugenix spring to mind as they are very good with the higher Norwood levels. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JC71 said:

Just to clarify and be sure, are you saying that Dr Yaman won’t even be doing any step of the ht ? Not even then incision/channel opening ? 

Just rechecked the quote, Dr Resul would do the incision step, consultation, analysis/design. Extraction is performed by "experts who have been trained by Dr Yeman". Implantation depends on the packages - at the cheaper end its the team with a Yaman implanter, expensive version is also by his team

1 hour ago, JC71 said:

Looking at your pics I would be concerned that your crown already shows the dipping most associated with the higher Norwood levels 6/7. At your age and with the possibility of not staying on meds you need to plan carefully here. Personally i think you should consult with some more clinics. Dr Bicer & Eugenix spring to mind as they are very good with the higher Norwood levels. 

No I would be on meds - I have started using topical Fin/Min in the last few weeks with no sides. I have stopped recently as the clinics who have immediate availability dont want me on it prior to surgery. I saw a dermatologist here in London a few weeks ago who diagnosed me with Norwood 4 - the pictures aren't great so I can understand why you said that though.

Eugenix - high chance I would be refused entry/visa to India due to my nationality unfortunately so i did not consult with them.

Dr Bicer - really weird communication with that team, they asked if I was shedding more then 80 hairs a day when I wash and when I replied in the negative, they said I was shedding more than 80 so they wouldn't operate on me. I tried to explain they had misunderstood me but they ignored this message and subsequent others. 

Edited by ybism

59 minutes ago, JC71 said:

Under no circumstances even consider Vera ! One of the worst hairmills. You could consider Dr Demirsoy if you want another affordable option though. 

I will contact him soon. Yup Vera is out of the window for me

• Like 1

Phew… you had me worried for a min with Dr Yaman 😉 I have to admit that so far I prefer the Fuecapilar approach. Be good to see how your donor is looking after the first ht, rather than go for higher numbers and maybe risk over harvesting.

2 minutes ago, JC71 said:

Phew… you had me worried for a min with Dr Yaman 😉 I have to admit that so far I prefer the Fuecapilar approach. Be good to see how your donor is looking after the first ht, rather than go for higher numbers and maybe risk over harvesting.

Yh I agree - for me all signs are pointing to FueCapilar, guess I wanted some reassurance as well as alternatives

• Like 1

That is a bit of a odd reply from Dr Bicers reps. Not sure what they were trying to get at 🤨 ok so around 100 hairs per day is usual. 

Was so odd - they had a standard message sent out over whatsapp asking if I had consistent hair loss of over 80 hairs a day, I think they misread it and have either archived it or just ignore it now. I might try contacting them via a different email/number and see what happens. 

1 minute ago, JC71 said:

That’s really good to hear you don’t have the sides switching to topical Fin 👍🏽

Yup was really encouraging. The dermatologist did say I wouldnt need it after the HT if I did it all in one go as the new hairs would be DHT resistant but if I did it in two different ops would make sense to use it on the crown so any hair that comes back naturally would help. 

8 minutes ago, ybism said:

Was so odd - they had a standard message sent out over whatsapp asking if I had consistent hair loss of over 80 hairs a day, I think they misread it and have either archived it or just ignore it now. I might try contacting them via a different email/number and see what happens. 

Give them another try as they are a very good option ! 

1 minute ago, ybism said:

Will do. 

Just to confirm, you would go with FueCapilar over Dr Yaman as their current quotes are?

Yes I would. I don’t think it’s wise to go in with too many grafts in one session. See how you look after the first and plan accordingly. 

I do have concerns over the dipped crown loss, hopefully the clinics your consulting with have seen this? Hopefully being on Fin will keep it from progressing. 

What do you mean by dipped crown? Haven't come across that terminology before

If you look under the area that’s marked you will notice you have hair loss thats in the centre and dips below the crown. At present it’s mostly central. This would normally be a indicator that you would head to the highest Norwood levels without the use of Fin. Especially at a younger age having it already evident. 
image.jpeg.125ccfe2707f6a92a0784a21fb49697f.jpeg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JC71 said:

If you look under the area that’s marked you will notice you have hair loss thats in the centre and dips below the crown. At present it’s mostly central. This would normally be a indicator that you would head to the highest Norwood levels without the use of Fin. Especially at a younger age having it already evident. 
image.jpeg.125ccfe2707f6a92a0784a21fb49697f.jpeg

Ah I see what you mean. Yh one of the things I've asked Dr Gokhan for (waiting on an answer) is if he can get more than 3000 grafts out. then can he backfill the crown area, so the bottom part of the crown and then up slightly so even though I'll have a bald spot it wont be as large as it is right now and then the year after I can get that filled in.

Definitely back on Fin/Min as soon as they say its safe, they said a month after the HT so if I go in end of January then end of February back on it, HT apparently starts showing results around 6 months in (end of July) and Fin/Min takes 3/4 months to start showing results too I think so I should have some good progress by the end of July. 

• Like 1

Just now, ybism said:

Ah I see what you mean. Yh one of the things I've asked Dr Gokhan for (waiting on an answer) is if he can get more than 3000 grafts out. then can he backfill the crown area, so the bottom part of the crown and then up slightly so even though I'll have a bald spot it wont be as large as it is right now and then the year after I can get that filled in.

Definitely back on Fin/Min as soon as they say its safe, they said a month after the HT so if I go in end of January then end of February back on it, HT apparently starts showing results around 6 months in (end of July) and Fin/Min takes 3/4 months to start showing results too I think so I should have some good progress by the end of July. 

Yeh, hopefully we can still travel out of the Uk by then 🤪

8 minutes ago, JC71 said:

Which is why I would be careful about future planning. Your on meds which should hopefully help. When your hair is grown out you can see the loss below the crown.

Do you mean in terms of giving the Fin/Min time to work then seeing what the results are?

Yeh, hopefully we can still travel out of the Uk by then 🤪

Haha mate I'm praying it doesn't get cancelled ... with my job January is the only time I'll be able to go for the next 6/7 months so if they cancel anything I am well and truly screwed

Just now, ybism said:

Do you mean in terms of giving the Fin/Min time to work then seeing what the results are?

Both really, see how your hair and donor are looking after your first ht. Out of curiosity how is your beard ? Can be a invaluable source for future planning needs.