on the perennial question of density - it is said over and over again that hair shaft thickness greatly affects perceived density, i.e. thicker hair will look more dense than thinner hair, all else being equal (same ACTUAL number of grafts/hairs per square cm/inch)... of course, this makes perfect sense... however, and this is what i don't understand, isn't it also true that thinner hair can be packed more densely per sq/in, i.e. closer together, than hair that's thicker in diameter, i.e. wider, bulkier? in other words, shouldn't the two cancel each other out - i.e. thick hair needs lower density to achieve the same look that thin hair can only achieve with higher density, BUT thin hair can be packed more densely than thick hair, proportionate to the difference in shaft diameter? in other words, if your hair is thin, you'll pay more (more grafts needed), but you CAN get a similar result to somebody with thick hair... or am i reading this all wrong??? please advise...

thanks!

on the perennial question of density - it is said over and over again that hair shaft thickness greatly affects perceived density, i.e. thicker hair will look more dense than thinner hair, all else being equal (same ACTUAL number of grafts/hairs per square cm/inch)... of course, this makes perfect sense... however, and this is what i don't understand, isn't it also true that thinner hair can be packed more densely per sq/in, i.e. closer together, than hair that's thicker in diameter, i.e. wider, bulkier? in other words, shouldn't the two cancel each other out - i.e. thick hair needs lower density to achieve the same look that thin hair can only achieve with higher density, BUT thin hair can be packed more densely than thick hair, proportionate to the difference in shaft diameter? in other words, if your hair is thin, you'll pay more (more grafts needed), but you CAN get a similar result to somebody with thick hair... or am i reading this all wrong??? please advise...

thanks!

I may be wrong, but I don't think that hair shaft diameter matters for dense packing, but rather the follicle. I would imagine that whether you have thin or thick hair, that the follicle would be the same size. Since the follicle would be roughly the same size, you would only be able to pack the same number of follicular units in a given area, but when the hair grows out, the larger hair will give a thicker appearance. Again, I may be wrong, but that's my guess.

i believe that graft (the part that goes under the skin) is more or less the same size for thin and thick hair shaft. it's the graft that is fighting for dominance of a blood supply (and space) and not the actual hair(s). i can see what you are thinking but the logic may be flawed there.

with all that said i could be wrong and some doc should correct me if i am.

Sorry GQ, next time I'll slow it down! You know, if we're wrong and the follicle is proportionate to the hair shaft diameter, you still have to consider that there is still a finite supply of follicular units available for transplantation. So, even if you could conceivably pack more thin hair into a given area to achieve the same look as thick hair, you would run out of your supply much sooner. I'd rather have slightly thinner look but with good coverage, than a thick hairline and a barren wasteland behind.

Well, I'm not a doctor so these are just my thoughts, but I would say that you need to look beneath the surface and consider not just follicle size, but transection rates, supply of blood, trauma to the scalp, and feasibility in the real world to place that many more units into an area that is extremely small. Theoretically you can travel forward through time, but that doesn't mean that we have the capacity to do so.