Should I go for HT now or wait?

Hi,

I'm a 26 yr old male from India looking for some advice on whether or not to think about HT right away.

I started experiencing hairloss for the first time about 4 years ago, but I didn't bother about it much back then because the hair loss appeared to subside after some time.

Then about a year ago, I observed that I had started losing some hairs... permanently!

This was like a shock for me because my father is not bald. He has full, normal hair even today and hence I never thought that I'd be affected by balding one day.

So I consulted a local dermatologist after wasting a couple of months on homeopathy and finding it ineffective... and I've been on finastride and minoxidil for about 9 months now.

I've been able to regrow some of the lost hairs but the density of hair has reduced greatly... mainly in the frontal area behind the hairline.

I'm looking for advice on whether to go for HT now and increase the hair density, or wait for a couple of years more.

Like I said, I never thought I'd start going bald one day.

My mom's brother is bald, one of my dad's brothers, he's really bald (NW7 I guess)... but since my dad isn't bald I never for even one second thought this would happen.

I'm attaching a couple of pics.

Thanks.

IMG_0164.JPG.18924bd16124ea7d15697cfca5ade973.JPG

One more...

Though it appear from these pics like everything's fine, I assure you I've lost quite a bit of hair throughout my top portion.

The good thing for now is that the hair present is just about enough to keep people from knowing that I'm going bald.

And I'd like to keep it that way.

IMG_0165.JPG.2042c278045bf86d4462634ce888710f.JPG

It depends on how much it bothers you I suppose, you seem to have nice thick hair, but also seem to have a line of hair loss running down your scalp, which I also do and has made me reluctant to undergo the procedure. I hope some senior forum members or a doctor may be able to explain this phenomenon, but my thinking is that how far the line goes will be how far I bald. Definitely go to a coalition doctor if you do go for it and best of luck.

Julius,

Actually it's more than a "line" of hair loss.

The original damage is not entirely visible due to the length of my hair in those pics, but I have lost hair significantly in the front 1/2 portion of my head and the follicles present now are farther apart.

The loss is lesser in the back 1/2 though.

I would wait personally.

Based on your pics, you seem to have a good head of hair.

I might try talking to a hair stylist that can work with you to give you a hairstyle that maximizes hair volume, thus hiding your baldness.

It's generally a good idea to wait until you are sure the hair loss has stabilised while taking the medications. When you first realise you are losing hair it causes you to freak out (well I did anyway). You then start looking for a quick fix to get back to how you were just a few short years ago. The general advice is take your time and work out a long-term plan, get some free online consultations from a coalition doctor, and don't rush into an HT before you know how extensive your loss is going to be. Especially if, like me, you are young.

Definitely wait. Look into Dermmatch or something like that to conceal the thinning, and maybe some thickening shampoo/hair-styling. With those you could look like you have a thick head of hair and you can wait and see if and how your hair loss matures.

Then I guess I'll wait it out for a couple more years.

I will also meet a HT surgeon soon and take his opinion as well.

But one concern I have about waiting is that my donor area density also may decrease in the future.

What you guys think about that?