Anyone Have Any Experience With HIMS or Any Telemedicine Company?

Balding Bad

Hi y'all -- so after being resistant to the idea of getting on Fin I've slowly warmed up to the idea. I was initially 90% ready to pull the trigger on going with a hair transplant procedure, however I realized it might actually be worth it to try Fin first to see the potential results before I go down the irreversible route of surgery.

Anyways, I was just perusing the HIMS website and saw that patients are able to obtain a Rx for Fin through their teledocs, which sounds very appealing to me since I currently don't have a dermatologist readily available to see. Moreover, if I could get a prescription online versus going in-person to see a doctor to confirm I'm balding that would be so much easier.

That being said, does anyone have any experience with HIMS or any similar type of telemedicine companies?

Just wanna get some feedback before I consider going down this road.

Also side note, given my current hair loss does anyone think Fin would be noticeably beneficial to me or is my hairline too far gone to be revived with Fin? You can refer to my previous thread which has tons of photos of my current hair:

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/61378-34-year-old-asian-american-male-thoughts-on-my-balding-donor-area/

Many thanks in advance!

Edited by Balding Bad

• Valued Contributor

I have no advice re: With Hims, etc. However I really advocate that you trial finasteride before having surgery. You want to know if you can stabilize your hair loss as you still have a lot of hair. You don;t have to start at 1mg a day. You could begin with micro dosing on say 0.5mg on Monday Wednesday and Friday initially. I'm not a doctor so speak with yours about this. I had side effects on 1mg a day after a couple of months but I am currently micro dosing and building it up slowly. So far so good. All the best with the scripts!

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Balding Bad said:

Hi y'all -- so after being resistant to the idea of getting on Fin I've slowly warmed up to the idea. I was initially 90% ready to pull the trigger on going with a hair transplant procedure, however I realized it might actually be worth it to try Fin first to see the potential results before I go down the irreversible route of surgery.

Anyways, I was just perusing the HIMS website and saw that patients are able to obtain a Rx for Fin through their teledocs, which sounds very appealing to me since I currently don't have a dermatologist readily available to see. Moreover, if I could get a prescription online versus going in-person to see a doctor to confirm I'm balding that would be so much easier.

That being said, does anyone have any experience with HIMS or any similar type of telemedicine companies?

Just wanna get some feedback before I consider going down this road.

Also side note, given my current hair loss does anyone think Fin would be noticeably beneficial to me or is my hairline too far gone to be revived with Fin? You can refer to my previous thread which has tons of photos of my current hair:

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/61378-34-year-old-asian-american-male-thoughts-on-my-balding-donor-area/

Many thanks in advance!

Your primary care physician can prescribe finasteride. HIMS is fairly more expensive than going through your insurance and your PCP. 

4 hours ago, rambunctious said:

Your primary care physician can prescribe finasteride. HIMS is fairly more expensive than going through your insurance and your PCP. 

Appreciate the feedback. Yeah, based on my research it seems going through HIMS will cost me more cheddar, so I'll just go through my insurance/PCP to lock up the Rx.

12 hours ago, Gatsby said:

I have no advice re: With Hims, etc. However I really advocate that you trial finasteride before having surgery. You want to know if you can stabilize your hair loss as you still have a lot of hair. You don;t have to start at 1mg a day. You could begin with micro dosing on say 0.5mg on Monday Wednesday and Friday initially. I'm not a doctor so speak with yours about this. I had side effects on 1mg a day after a couple of months but I am currently micro dosing and building it up slowly. So far so good. All the best with the scripts!

Gatsby, that's exactly what I plan on doing. I revised my plan. As you know I initially wanted to undergo a procedure first and then eventually get on Fin...but I reassessed and realized it made no sense to undergo a permanent SURGICAL procedure first without at least trying Fin first to see if I even responded well to it.

So my plan now is to start Fin and if all goes well and I experience 0 sides then I will reassess the HT route a year later...which might mean I will no longer have the Work From Home option at my disposal anymore, but, hey, such is life...

Thanks for your suggestion though. I think what I'm going to do is try your suggested M, W, F routine (I also saw this recommended by a doctor on a YouTube channel I follow) and keep my fingers crossed. Because you're right...my hair loss isn't THAT bad to the point where Fin is absolutely useless. I don't expect to completely regrow my front hair line, but at the very least I can salvage some follicles that are miniaturizing and, at the very least, I can receive a smaller amount of grafts later on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1