PRP treatment after one month post-operation?

Hello everyone,
I've made an appointment for PRP treatment next week (one month after my transplant surgery).

The center of my scalp is very itchy at the moment, donor area is not so bad.
I was wondering if it would still be safe to do a PRP treatment despite the itchiness? :)
The itchiness is not intolerable, just very noticeable and the scalp is red.
The middle of the recipient area was DHI and the hairline was FUE.

Thanks!
image.png.df407b675cdfc7909d5b8afa601516ea.png

Edited by ZeoWorks

You are healing nicely and IMHO, the PRP treatment is not necessary…save your money.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

On 10/2/2021 at 9:26 PM, gillenator said:

You are healing nicely and IMHO, the PRP treatment is not necessary…save your money.

Thank you very much sir, and thank you for the advice!
Alas I've already prepaid.  The clinic I'm going to is operated by a friend of mine and offered three treatments (over three months) for £300 in total, so it's not a huge burden. :)

Edited by ZeoWorks

Hi, just back from the clinic. :)
I got the PRP treatment, however they interestingly used a derma pen (0.4mm to 1.0mm) combined with the PRP rather than a needle, known as PRP micro-needling. This caused extra shedding.  I've been shedding 40-ish hairs a day anywho.

Was this a safe approach?

20211005_114513.jpg

Edited by SeanToman

Never heard of PRP microneedling, so have no idea whether this was a good thing at this point in time…the area does look more thin and am wondering how much of the hair is native?

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

2 hours ago, gillenator said:

Never heard of PRP microneedling, so have no idea whether this was a good thing at this point in time…the area does look more thin and am wondering how much of the hair is native?

Thank you for your response!
I hope this image will help.

They basically poured PRP onto the area and used a derma pen afterwards.
When they did this, quite a few hairs did fall out.  Probably more than I feel comfortable with.  But again I am shedding around 30-40-ish hairs a day anyway so it's likely that the derma pen just forced out hair that was due to fall out in the next couple of days.

I assume we're told not to derma-roll so soon in case of risk of infection while the scalp is healing, is this correct?

Do you know how far a hair follicle is implanted?  The derma pen went up to 1mm I believe.
Thanks!

image.thumb.png.5ccb191d083ea0267a827b0031b491ab.png

image.png.4a9cd6573f74450d62ea18ec37cf95c2.pngimage.png.1b8e6e76c5ee52b990ecbe9a782e1984.pngimage.png.1333544db1143333950f94116e21db0e.png

Edited by SeanToman

IMHO, it’s best to just allow your own body to heal and allow the procedure to mature on its own.

• Like 2

Gillenator

The outer layer of scalp is the epidermis…beneath that is the dermis layer where follicles are implanted, where the blood supply exists.

Gillenator

2 hours ago, gillenator said:

The outer layer of scalp is the epidermis…beneath that is the dermis layer where follicles are implanted, where the blood supply exists.

Thanks! And having the derma pen only go as far as 1mm means it would in no way reach the dermis layer, is this correct?
I've made a monthly update thread in the review area as you suggested sir.  Thanks. :)

Edited by SeanToman