Can you wear a hair system while transplant hair grows in?

Mystery411

whats the need? have you been wearing a hair system for all this time, and if you showed up with weird ugly duckling hair transplant self your coworkers, friends, etc would wonder where all your hair went? I would have anxiety too is that was the case. 

But if its just cosmetically you don't want to be seen during the ugly ducking HT phase, I say just suck it up - consider it a rite of passage that every HT guy goes thru. Hair Systems are really high maintenance and can be anxiety-provoking themselves, so I don't really see see it as a solution.

• Thanks 1

the only way I see this as possible, and I have a friend who did this, and its difficult to say what the results would have been if he had not done this, is that where the system is attached (front/sides and back, basically all around), is not attached to anywhere the transplanted follicles are, so you would need to make your system bigger so that you would go over that line, so attachment is only on where the donor is.

I hope you understand what I mean, so that would mean adding a 1.5-2cm, (making the system bigger) to where you normally would attach and only use tape, no bond/glue and change tape every 3-5 days, and as much as you can when home and not working go without.

Of course, the first 10 days until its healed and scabs fallen of you cant wear anything, if you can go 2-3 weeks without anything even better, maybe when you have vacation or maybe its possible working from home….

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, SadMan2021 said:

whats the need? have you been wearing a hair system for all this time, and if you showed up with weird ugly duckling hair transplant self your coworkers, friends, etc would wonder where all your hair went? I would have anxiety too is that was the case. 

But if its just cosmetically you don't want to be seen during the ugly ducking HT phase, I say just suck it up - consider it a rite of passage that every HT guy goes thru. Hair Systems are really high maintenance and can be anxiety-provoking themselves, so I don't really see see it as a solution.

Currently wearing a unit. It would be weird showing up to work with no hair ☠️

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HugoX said:

the only way I see this as possible, and I have a friend who did this, and its difficult to say what the results would have been if he had not done this, is that where the system is attached (front/sides and back, basically all around), is not attached to anywhere the transplanted follicles are, so you would need to make your system bigger so that you would go over that line, so attachment is only on where the donor is.

I hope you understand what I mean, so that would mean adding a 1.5-2cm, (making the system bigger) to where you normally would attach and only use tape, no bond/glue and change tape every 3-5 days, and as much as you can when home and not working go without.

Of course, the first 10 days until its healed and scabs fallen of you cant wear anything, if you can go 2-3 weeks without anything even better, maybe when you have vacation or maybe its possible working from home….

Yeah, I would get a daily clip unit that would not touch the affected area. I wouldn’t sleep with it. 

It all depends on what you've done up to this point and how self aware you are.  I can understand a patient who has used a system for a long time and is now transitioning to transplants, (there is a big difference in density between the two). I would check with the clinic.  It will depend if FUE or FUT.  Change tape to clips.  Hopefully you have some native hair the system can attach to.

• Thanks 1

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

3 minutes ago, LaserCaps said:

It all depends on what you've done up to this point and how self aware you are.  I can understand a patient who has used a system for a long time and is now transitioning to transplants, (there is a big difference in density between the two). I would check with the clinic.  It will depend if FUE or FUT.  Change tape to clips.  Hopefully you have some native hair the system can attach to.

I was told by my stylist that I have excellent donor hair. I have never had a transplant and wear my hair on the longer side. Since I’m like NW 5 or 6, I’m considering a FUT. I don’t mind the scar. I’m over 45, so I just feel like keeping it on the longer side. I know the density doesn’t compare to a system’s, but I’m ok with toppik (used it for 10 years). I’m also ok doing 2 or 3 transplants. 

BTW, thank you all for the replies.