FUT VS FUE? Doctor Suggestions? Any other advice.

7 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

H&W, Konior will usually feature in most people’s top choices. I like the work Dr Bloxham is doing and yes his FUT scars are pretty invisible usually. With a high level of loss I still think it’s better to maximise our donor area by starting out with FUT

Completely agree with Dr Bloxham, been watching and following a lot of his work lately and coming away super impressed. Don't think you could go wrong with him or anyone else on the list, almost seems like splitting hairs at some pt, but having more choices makes it harder sometimes.....lol

3 minutes ago, tkmoney said:

Completely agree with Dr Bloxham, been watching and following a lot of his work lately and coming away super impressed. Don't think you could go wrong with him or anyone else on the list, almost seems like splitting hairs at some pt, but having more choices makes it harder sometimes.....lol

When your choosing some of the best Drs/Clinics it’s going to be a tough decision to make. Normally we get a gut feeling on who is going to suit our needs the best. 
It’s a good position to be in to be honest ! A refreshing change from people just wanting “Turkey” and the best/cheapest option. 

• Administrators
15 hours ago, tkmoney said:

What sucks for me is since my Dad was bald by the time he was in his late twenties, I thought I was good since I still had a very thick head of hair well into my late 30's. It wasn't until my mid 40's when things really went south for me in my opinion. These photos are from 37, 44, 45 years old.

20210920_134251.jpg

20210920_134231.jpg

20210920_134215.jpg

This is proof hair loss can start at any time. That said, sounds like your dad was a Norwood 6 by 30 like me, you’re balding yes, but nowhere near that severe. Seem to be a Norwood 4 at worst. Crown still seems intact, which is a nightmare to restore believe me.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 hour ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

This is proof hair loss can start at any time. That said, sounds like your dad was a Norwood 6 by 30 like me, you’re balding yes, but nowhere near that severe. Seem to be a Norwood 4 at worst. Crown still seems intact, which is a nightmare to restore believe me.

Yeah exactly Melvin, I have a lot to be thankful for compared to most, but I've always had a hard time judging where I fall on that Norwood scale.....lol I don't think I fit in a classic way, and would agree I'm probably somewhere between a 3 or 4. I always wonder if I would have never started T or if I would have been on Finnasteride this whole time would my hair look different now. 

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, tkmoney said:

Yeah exactly Melvin, I have a lot to be thankful for compared to most, but I've always had a hard time judging where I fall on that Norwood scale.....lol I don't think I fit in a classic way, and would agree I'm probably somewhere between a 3 or 4. I always wonder if I would have never started T or if I would have been on Finnasteride this whole time would my hair look different now. 

If you would have started fin guaranteed you wouldn’t need an HT right now. But, all things considered living your best years with hair is something to be happy about, needing an HT in your 40s isn’t bad at all.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

12 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

If you would have started fin guaranteed you wouldn’t need an HT right now. But, all things considered living your best years with hair is something to be happy about, needing an HT in your 40s isn’t bad at all.

Yep, that's definitely true. I'm thankful I have the opportunity and how far hair transplant surgery has come over the last few decades, it still amazes me how well these turnout and how life changing they can be. Since I'm still open as far as FUE vs FUT, I'm wondering how long I would be out of work with a FUT, since I throw bags for a living working for an airline. I know the recovery is longer with FUT, but most people don't have that physical of a job either, so that could sway things a bit. Any info would be appreciated.

Well, Dr Bloxham just got back to me, a little different than what Dr Nadimi said, but maybe Dr Nadimi is similar in that she would just be concentrating on the frontal region also, just with only 2000 grafts. Anyways here is what Dr Bloxham said.......Based on what I see here, it looks like you would be a good candidate for surgery. It looks as if you have pretty advanced -- and diffuse -- thinning somewhat from front to back. Typically it takes two large FUT procedures for a total of 5,000 - 6,000 grafts to restore a scalp like this. Most patients can safely do around 2,500 - 3,500 in a sitting, so it sort of breaks down to one large surgery for the frontal half and one for the back. I think the best approach is starting on that frontal surgery now. We will go in, safely steal out as much as we can -- and my estimate would be around  2,500 - 3,500 but I am happy to do more if we can get it, rebuild a new hairline, densely pack the frontal scalp behind it, and then strategically work back as far through the mid-scalp as possible. The potential second procedure -- which is always optional -- would basically be just starting where we left off and finishing off the rest of the mid-scalp and crown region

1 hour ago, tkmoney said:

Well, Dr Bloxham just got back to me, a little different than what Dr Nadimi said, but maybe Dr Nadimi is similar in that she would just be concentrating on the frontal region also, just with only 2000 grafts. Anyways here is what Dr Bloxham said.......Based on what I see here, it looks like you would be a good candidate for surgery. It looks as if you have pretty advanced -- and diffuse -- thinning somewhat from front to back. Typically it takes two large FUT procedures for a total of 5,000 - 6,000 grafts to restore a scalp like this. Most patients can safely do around 2,500 - 3,500 in a sitting, so it sort of breaks down to one large surgery for the frontal half and one for the back. I think the best approach is starting on that frontal surgery now. We will go in, safely steal out as much as we can -- and my estimate would be around  2,500 - 3,500 but I am happy to do more if we can get it, rebuild a new hairline, densely pack the frontal scalp behind it, and then strategically work back as far through the mid-scalp as possible. The potential second procedure -- which is always optional -- would basically be just starting where we left off and finishing off the rest of the mid-scalp and crown region

Great planning by Dr. Bloxham. His work is impeccable and he is very ethical 

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

33 minutes ago, Dr. Suhail Khokhar said:

Great planning by Dr. Bloxham. His work is impeccable and he is very ethical 

Yes, I would have zero hesitation with Dr Bloxham to do my surgery, as I have seen his work and trust his judgement. And I may be happy with just the one surgery, but only time would tell. How do you feel about going to a place like H&W or somewhere where I could do a 2 day FUE surgery back to back days, with 5000-6000 grafts or whatever is necessary? I'm assuming there would be a year wait or so between surgeries with doing a FUT? I don't actually know so that's why I'm asking, thx.

3 hours ago, tkmoney said:

Yes, I would have zero hesitation with Dr Bloxham to do my surgery, as I have seen his work and trust his judgement. And I may be happy with just the one surgery, but only time would tell. How do you feel about going to a place like H&W or somewhere where I could do a 2 day FUE surgery back to back days, with 5000-6000 grafts or whatever is necessary? I'm assuming there would be a year wait or so between surgeries with doing a FUT? I don't actually know so that's why I'm asking, thx.

Research has shown that you can get more grafts over time via FUT and then using FUE.

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

11 hours ago, tkmoney said:

Yup this is a excellent plan by Dr Bloxham. I was thinking a 2 stage approach might be best. Absolutely nothing wrong with Nadimi, she does really good work but does seem to work with lower numbers. 

Edited by JohnAC71

2 hours ago, JohnAC71 said:

Yup this is a excellent plan by Dr Bloxham. I was thinking a 2 stage approach might be best. Absolutely nothing wrong with Nadimi, she does really good work but does seem to work with lower numbers. 

Yeah I did reach back out to Dr Nadimi just to clarify a few things, and basically she is saying exactly what Dr Bloxham has suggested, trying to concentrate on the frontal and mid section, while leaving the crown to do if I wanted to during a second procedure. I think that's my thought process as of right now, to do a FUT and get as many grafts as possible to completely take care of the front and hopefully some or all of the mid section, while leaving the back/crown to do at a later time if desired.