Should I get a transplant now?

Hi

What the subject says... I'm 27 now but noticed it thinning years ago and didn't really do anything. I took regaine but missed days out etc and only just started doing it properly.

I currently take minodill twice a day and 1 tablet of finasteride and done this for past month now.20210724_211313.thumb.jpg.7a9d354680a4aefce345a165ea3d0f92.jpg20210724_211505.thumb.jpg.5e88dab4130e8fc4d6f6c7d2bfbd701c.jpg

20210724_211329.jpg

20210724_211503.jpg

2 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

I would give the Fin/Minox combo at least a year. Review your situation again in at least 11 Months time. See if you have managed to retain/stabilise your loss.

Thanks for quick reply John.

I do have male pattern baldness as my granddad has a bald head and so did my father

• Thanks 1

Just now, aKaWonderKid said:

Thanks for quick reply John.

I do have male pattern baldness as my granddad has a bald head and so did my father

With your current situation and such loss in the family your wise to have already started Fin/Minox.

No rush to get a transplant. Spend the next year researching and learning which clinic/Dr might be best suited to your needs.

check out the forums recommended list:

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Consult-a-Physician/hair-transplant-surgeons.asp?sr=HRN-MOB

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Valued Contributor

Definitely what John says above.

You aren't going to magically regain the hair that's already gone (you'll need a HT for that), but at least by being on finasteride you can firstly assess whether or not you tolerate it without issue. With more time you'll be able to assess whether it's helping with the hair loss stabilisation. You may want to consider just using finasteride on its own and introduce minoxidil later on, as it's harder to work out what's working and what isn't if you do multiple things at the same time rather than a stagnated approach. It's probably easier to be consistent as well if you just focus on one thing for now and then introduce something else down the line. But with that said, if you can be super consistent and persistent on both for the long haul then I suppose I won't matter, other than the time & financial commitments of being on both (which is another reason you may want to first monitor one on its own rather than both simultaneously).

My other personal recommendation is to use the time between now and whenever you potentially get a HT to not only learn & research as John says, but buzz that mop off! If you've done this already in the past then fair enough, but I'm a big advocate of making it an essential step in your research; if you like it, great - you've saved yourself a right load of hassle, worry & cost. If you don't, then you can at least say you gave it a fair crack (3-6 months minimum I would say). Absolute worst case scenario is that for the duration of your buzz (play with different guard lengths) you'll look far better than with patchy balding hair. It'll also make the initial post-HT phase easier if you've gotten used to having short hair seeing as you'll be getting it buzzed anyway. Check out Baldcafe on YouTube and treat it as part of the research and journey. I think most guys skip over this step, but so many blokes look instantly better when they go from balding/covering up to deliberate short buzzed look.

So be smart, don't rush and treat surgery as an absolute last resort and if you then decided based on a good body of research and experimenting that you still want a HT... well, you've done it exactly the way it should be done!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think I'm going to take monthly photos and get someone who is neutral to tell me if the medication is working or not.

If medication doesn't work i will buzz it off then look at HT

Is PRP worth it does anyone know??

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, aKaWonderKid said:

I think I'm going to take monthly photos and get someone who is neutral to tell me if the medication is working or not.

PRP as a stand-alone procedure? Nope not in my opinion. It’s not going to benefit your situation. Yes monthly pics are advisable. But also remember we all have shedding periods, that occurs naturally. You will definitely know it a years time how the Fin is helping (or not) 

• Valued Contributor
7 minutes ago, aKaWonderKid said:

Bear in mind that you'll not necessarily know if finasteride is/has worked for quite some time - years even! Although you should certainly know whether you can stomach it in that time side effects-wise. I'd personally suggest getting the buzz cut done early doors. If the meds definitely aren't working then remember that a HT becomes two or three HT's in all likelihood, hence probably best to do the buzz stage of your research nice and early rather than go through the rigmarole of hair meds only to discover they haven't done anything and then realise you liked the buzzed look all along.

From what I understand, PRP isn't going to do much or anything for the already bald bits, so you might be better off simplifying things down to just finasteride for now, then minoxidil down the line. Seems an unnecessary cost and hassle to me but I'm happy to admit I'm not the most well informed on PRP.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Berba11 said:

Bear in mind that you'll not necessarily know if finasteride is/has worked for quite some time - years even! Although you should certainly know whether you can stomach it in that time side effects-wise. I'd personally suggest getting the buzz cut done early doors. If the meds definitely aren't working then remember that a HT becomes two or three HT's in all likelihood, hence probably best to do the buzz stage of your research nice and early rather than go through the rigmarole of hair meds only to discover they haven't done anything and then realise you liked the buzzed look all along.

From what I understand, PRP isn't going to do much or anything for the already bald bits, so you might be better off simplifying things down to just finasteride for now, then minoxidil down the line. Seems an unnecessary cost and hassle to me but I'm happy to admit I'm not the most well informed on PRP.

It looks bad on top ajd to be fair it is but when you look at me, face on, like if I was speaking to you in the street you wouldn't notice the difference.

I know its a crazy question but say I did do a buzz now, the hair I have atm will grow back??

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, aKaWonderKid said:

It looks bad on top ajd to be fair it is but when you look at me, face on, like if I was speaking to you in the street you wouldn't notice the difference.

I know its a crazy question but say I did do a buzz now, the hair I have atm will grow back??

Try a buzz cut and keep taking the fin. If it doesn’t suit you or you don’t like it you will have lost nothing. The hair you have will grow back. Especially if you stay on the meds 👌

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

hi all,

had a consultation with a lady who had  aname beginning with S, i think it was SAMEERA at the hair dr clinic, (dr arshad)

few hours later she emailed over a quote. £6000 for 2000 

Obviously im going to do some shopping around but just thought i'd ask the question as she said 

2000 FUE grafts (+/- 10 %), to reinforce and provide a dense and fuller hairline, mid-scalp and temple area only.

I know this is stupid but by mid-scalp does she mean top of my head all the way to my crown because my hair is thinning everywhere on top...

Also she said i have a good donor area however didnt see the back of my head, just the sides?
here is a photo of the back of my head, bare in mind the red is where i had an infection (according to my Dr and im taking anti dandruff/fungal shampoo, the red has already gone away)

1 minute ago, JohnAC71 said:

Personally I don’t think 2000 grafts is enough looking at the pics you posted earlier. Definitely keep getting other consultations done. Who else is on your list ? 

I was going to ask Dr Ball and Dr Reddy.

Who else in the UK would you recommend? I'm not going to any european countries, thats completely out of the question.

Ii dont even think I can go for a buzz cut simply because you will see my scalp

1 minute ago, JohnAC71 said:

You could add Dr Farjo if your sticking with the Uk. Apart from the names already mentioned, thats pretty much it for here. Unless you can wait until the BHR (Dr Bisanga) clinic opens..

https://bhrclinic.co.uk/

thanks john I appreciate that.

Just had a flick on Bisangas website as Ive heard he is one of the best in the world... do we know when his clinic here opens?

I'm debating whether to just get it done ASAP or actually wait until ive tried fina for 6 months then review.

If my hair stayed like this I wouldn't be that bothered but i just cant see it staying like this. Its only 'terrible' when it rains and i can just stay indoors when that happens!!!

• Like 1

Definitely don’t get it done ASAP, this never ends well 🤨 give the meds a chance to work. For now just keep researching and getting consultations done. A decent clinic will usually be booked up at least a few months in advance.

2 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

Definitely don’t get it done ASAP, this never ends well 🤨 give the meds a chance to work. For now just keep researching and getting consultations done. A decent clinic will usually be booked up at least a few months in advance.

haha i was thinking this...

Dr Arshad said they can fit me in August 26th...

• Like 1