Dermatologist Visits Before HT - What Should I Ask?

Hey guys,

I'm in the early stages of researching HTs. In one of my online consults I was asked about redness on the back of my scalp (I shave my head close to zero). I think the redness is just because I have sensitive skin and the back of my skull is often in contact with a pillow, but I'm not sure. I am going to see a dermatologist/trichologist to diagnose it.

What other things should I get checked out for to ensure that my scalp is ready for an HT? What conditions are particularly bad in terms of leading to failed HTs that I should be on the lookout for? Any other questions I should the doctor? (Note: this doctor is not an HT surgeon, just a dermatologist/trichologist).

Thanks.

I asked a Dermatologist to do a scalp biopsy to see what are some of the causes of my hair loss. The result said I had Cicatricial Alopecia (Scarring Alopecia). So I need to get that fixed before thinking about any surgery. Maybe you can ask for a biopsy if you think you need one?

Also, it's possible to have a combination of MPB and another type of hair loss.

Edited by shami26
  • Like 1

Medication for Male Pattern Baldness: Topical Dutasteride - Topical Minoxidil 5% - Ketoconazole Shampoo

Medication for Cicatricial Alopecia: Hydroxychloroquine  - Topical Clobestasol - Doxycycline

1 hour ago, tripleg said:

Does a scalp biopsy damage hair follicles? Especially miniaturized hairs?

I don't remember.

Edited by shami26

Medication for Male Pattern Baldness: Topical Dutasteride - Topical Minoxidil 5% - Ketoconazole Shampoo

Medication for Cicatricial Alopecia: Hydroxychloroquine  - Topical Clobestasol - Doxycycline

23 minutes ago, tripleg said:

Does a scalp biopsy damage hair follicles? Especially miniaturized hairs?

with the scalp biopsy a piece is removed, 2/3 millimeters, there will always remain a very small scar that I do not think can compromise the success of the transplant, on the contrary if your scalp is affected by some pathology such as Lichen Pilapilaris, which does not  you would be able to see with the naked eye, so if you have any doubts, you would do well to do it.

• Like 3

The redness on the back of my scalp was diagnosed as Nevus Simplex (a type of capillary malformation). It's not a really a problem with respect to HT or otherwise. No biopsy was required.

The dermatologist also confirmed my alopecia as androgenic alopecia, not scarring alopecia or anything else. She examined my scalp with a dermascope (she didn't have a trichoscope).