shock loss

Marcelo

Marcelo,

The average would be about 2-4 weeks, that's the intial fall-out from trauma to the scalp. There are always exceptions. How long ago did you have your procedure?

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Marcelo,

Well I am certainly glad to hear it has slowed down and my guess is that you are about done now. Just think though, the best part is yet to come! THE NEW GROWTH!!!

FYI, the shock loss is evidence that these follicules are now in telogen (resting) and then they move into the anagen (growth) phase. Do not be skeptical if it takes several months for the new hair to emerge.

Hopefully the shockloss has not made a pronounced difference in your visual coverage. I know myself and others here have used products like Toppik until the procedure fully matures. Best wishes to you.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Sounds like we mixing up the term "shock loss" of pre-existing non-transplanted hair with the normal "dormant phase" that transplanted grafts go through.

If you get a hair transplant and still have remaining non-transplanted hair too, if that hair is weak due to Male Pattern Baldness then the surgery can 'shock' it causing it to be lost (and it may or may not return). This is a phenomena that is not completely understood, to my knowledge (what causes it. why does it happen to some guys and not others). Shock loss is one risk to consider, if you want a transplant but still have a lot of "at-risk" hair in the balding area. The worst case scenario is for a guy to end up with less hair AFTER the transplant due to permanent shock loss, and not transplanting enough grafts to compensate.

The dormant phase happens to the transplanted grafts, they can appear to be growing temporarily, but then go dormant and the hairs fall out. Nothing happens for 10 weeks or so, then the transplanted hair begins growing at the normal rate (about a half-inch per month).

This is basic stuff your doctor should have fully explained BEFORE the surgery, when you were doing your consultation.