18 months post procedure, stunted growth of some grafts. Help and advice needed please

Technoir,

Quick question, you said that these grafts have grown but that they haven’t grown beyond their current state. Did these grafts ever shed?  In other words, between 4 to 8 weeks, when all the transplanted hair grew out, did these hairs fall out and then grow back to their current state or did they stay implanted and just grew a little without shedding and never grew anymore?

The reason why I ask is, if they never shed to begin with, it’s possible that the follicle never took a root or the follicles themselves were damaged/transected.  However, if they did shed initially and then go back, it’s possible that the follicles took route but there may have been some damage preventing them from growing at normal rates.

in my opinion, I would ask your doctor for his assessment and advice on the matter. Why did Dr. Bhatti say?

Best wishes,

Bill

@Bill-Dr-Rahal

Hey Bill, yes these grafts all shed at around the 3 week mark.

They started coming in again at around 2.5 months.

I haven't contacted Dr Bhatti, I wouldn't go back to him for any revision or further procedure so I didn't feel it was worth it. I may yet contact him though.

Just wanted to get the community's take on things.

I'm going to be looking to get another procedure in around January 2022 so 14-15 months time.

I basically plan to keep up the meds and the dermarolling and see if the stunted grafts kick into gear.

Do you think if they have been damaged that they will correct themselves or are they likely to be permanently like this?

Thanks for your reply.

• Moderators

I had this happen to me a few times. Usually it's just a few grafts. I think there are several different scenarios. This is my opinion based on having many hair transplants, but I'm not 100% sure of these.

1. Some of them will just suddenly start to grow after about 6 months to a year. I think these are the ones that never shed in the first place and just hang around.

2. Some of them will eventually shed on their own after 6 months to a year and then a new hair will start growing soon after. It's as if they wait until the next hair cycle to kick into normal growth

3. Some will hang around and never grow even after a year. At this point you should try plucking a few out with a tweezers and see what happens and take a close look at them. If they come out very easy and you see the root end bent upwards then this is a dead graft that the root got bent or ruined during implantation or perhaps it never had an intact follicle and was never a good graft to begin with. If it takes some effort to pull it out and the end looks normal then it is probably a good graft that just got stuck in the healing process. This one will probably grow a new normal hair soon.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.