Pre Hair Transplant Preperations

Hi bros.. I am a noob on this forum. I aim to get a hair transplant within next 3-5 months. Can you please guide me how can I take care of my hair to ensure they are healthy on day of op.  I mean any recommended supplements, medication, etc

I am 32 years old. I think a Norwood 4 or so. I had started loosing hair during 2004 iteself.. I think too much using gel during my school days. Then after initial hair loss they kinda stayed almost same for almost a decade. But over past 2-3 years, the hair loss has started again.  Regards.

Edit : Adding pics

Top View

IMG_20201011_212255.thumb.jpg.8c732f298b79076dfa2f16555c460601.jpg

Front

IMG_20201011_212302.thumb.jpg.6abe86602c9d8287c6efaea7b5799022.jpg

Front 2

IMG_20201011_212323.thumb.jpg.cc945e23e54e0bb1351e9bdc443e6b69.jpg

Temple area  and back

IMG_20201011_212328_1.thumb.jpg.01e9a29f0558953d7b398c91cd4c393d.jpg

Edited by Sledge
Added pics

Healthy diet, plenty of sleep, good stress management, the basics. In terms of medication its always better to try finasteride for at least a year before your first HT -it helps to block the DHT that is causing your loss. A minority of guys do get side effects and can't take it, others have such aggressive loss or have hair follicles that are so sensitive to DHT that the finasteride doesn't help them much. But if you can tolerate finasteride and respond well, it will help you hang on to your hair longer and have fewer, smaller hair transplants in the long run. And it will also help reduce the chances and severity of shock loss after your HT -that's the trauma from the procedure to your native hairs that can cause them to fall out -its usually temporary and grows back in a few months, but sometimes its permanent if the hairs are already weakening.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, ciaus said:

Healthy diet, plenty of sleep, good stress management, the basics. In terms of medication its always better to try finasteride for at least a year before your first HT -it helps to block the DHT that is causing your loss. A minority of guys do get side effects and can't take it, others have such aggressive loss or have hair follicles that are so sensitive to DHT that the finasteride doesn't help them much. But if you can tolerate finasteride and respond well, it will help you hang on to your hair longer and have fewer, smaller hair transplants in the long run. And it will also help reduce the chances and severity of shock loss after your HT -that's the trauma from the procedure to your native hairs that can cause them to fall out -its usually temporary and grows back in a few months, but sometimes its permanent if the hairs are already weakening.

Thank you for the advise. I have never tried miniodixil or finasteride, because of side effects like excessive hairfall when you stop taking them. I think I have lost so much hair, hair transplant seems like most logical option. 

So finasteride for a whole year, if I want good result from my hair transplant?? 

Edited by Sledge

You are right you probably won't get any of your frontal hair restored with finasteride/minoxidil, but while your crown area still looks pretty good, that bottom pic looks like you have a little thinning starting there. You want to protect that area because the crown is very difficult to address with hair transplants, it takes alot more grafts than the middle or front of your scalp to give it decent coverage again because of the way crown hairs are angled when they grow out of the scalp.  And yea I would give yourself a year on those meds to also help strengthen the surrounding and bordering hairs to help reduce the chances of losing them to shockloss.

• Like 1