Propecia: Depression and dosage

4head

I have been on Propecia for 6 months now and I am 5 months out after my transplant. So far so good, hair is coming in great and I have noticed a large decrease in hair loss.

Unfortunately, I have experienced the lazyness side effect from the propecia as well as mood swings into depression over the last 3-4 months. I don't know what else to attribute it to as I have never felt this way before until after being on propecia for a few months.

I have been debating cutting my 1mg propecia dose in half or taking one every other day to see if I can shake these side effects, but I do not want to jeaopardize the positive effects it is having on my hair.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

I have been on Propecia for 6 months now and I am 5 months out after my transplant. So far so good, hair is coming in great and I have noticed a large decrease in hair loss.

Unfortunately, I have experienced the lazyness side effect from the propecia as well as mood swings into depression over the last 3-4 months. I don't know what else to attribute it to as I have never felt this way before until after being on propecia for a few months.

I have been debating cutting my 1mg propecia dose in half or taking one every other day to see if I can shake these side effects, but I do not want to jeaopardize the positive effects it is having on my hair.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

4 -

certainly cutting back on your propecia "might" help...but there is also the post cosmetic surgery let down that many people have..its a real thing they are finding..makes sense, when you think of how excited people can get if theyre having a life changing surgery, whether its their hair, eyes, lipo, or whatever..physicians are finding that many are suffering this letdown of sorts as patients lives get back to normal, and theyre not pumping near the adrenaline through their system as before...

try a good multivitamin and some aerobic excercise if youre not already doing so..thats as good a cure for minor depression as there is..good luck!

------------------------------

4600 grafts/ 12/10/2003/ Dr. Jerry Wong

Aren't you glad you know me, and have such easy access to my dementia???

Thanks for the reply rugger icon_smile.gif

I do currently take my vitamins and try to eat as healthy as possible with plenty of greens. I had taken a hiatus from excerise since the transplant, only sporatically workingout here and there. I have only really put myself back in the swing of things for the last 4 weeks.

I do feel better actually now that I am working out, but I still have "episodes" where I find myself very "low" so to speak. I have nothing to be depressed about thank God, so it is making me think that it is the propecia. I have never taken any kind of medication before the propecia.

I just get worried because my mood effects my friends and family as well and I'd like to get back to where I was before. I know what you are saying about the adrenaline and the letdown. I am very happy with the surgery but I do wish I found this site earlier... as I significantly overpaid... icon_frown.gif But the results have been wonderful and have definately restored my confidence and outlook on appearance.

Thanks again!

im glad to hear that you work out and eat right. HT or no HT, if you dont take care of yourself you will feel like crap. I find that If i dont work out, I feel mad at the world and mad at myself. I can be moody anyway so this compounds it, naturally. Im not saying be a health nut, eating twigs and berries 24/7, but pushing that steel around in the gym sure makes a man feel like a man. good luck, man.

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Yes, you have to be happy with what you see in the mirror and excercise definately helps with that.

About the other part of my 1st post... Will halving my propecia dosage have ill effects on the good results I have experienced so far? I'd hate to start losing hair again at the rapid rate I was before the propecia.

Thanks!

Sorry to hear about your "let down" emotionally. I assume it is due to the HT, and not Propecia. Propecia only has a small effect on libido-- not depression. Libido is caused by testosterone--depression is caused by serontin/reuptake in the brain. Propecia doesnt come close to this.

Hopefully once your HT starts coming in, your attitude/emotions will improve. Stay on the propecia as prescribed. Continue the viatimins that you are taking, increase your protien intake a day to 60% and limit carbs to 40% while eliminating sugar and fat (too much carbs, and sugar causes a "post let down crash"). Good luck and I'm sure your come around. If not, then I suggest seeing your local doctor.

Awesome advise, smoothy. Im personally on a 50/25/25 split (protein, carbs, fats). A GREAT book on this is "The Testosterone Advantage Plan". You can find it on the Mens Health magazine website. Its worth a read to ANY man looking to improve his body and mind.

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Thank you for the info Smoothy!

My HT has already come in great and I have achieved great results with the propecia too so I don't believe I am depressed about that. Maybe this is being caused by something else. I will definately try to limit my sugars and carbs and see if this will help.

Luckily, I have not had any ill effects as far as libido is concerned. Definately feel a little spacy sometimes though (as compared to before I went on the propecia icon_smile.gif )

Hopefully this will clear up. We are anticipating a move back up north this year and I have been a little stressed about that... perhaps this has brought on the "low" feelings.

Thanks for the replies everyone!