Ready to begin my epic journey (now with PICS)

As others have already stated- take time off from work for HT and recovery, as much as possible.

I scheduled my HT on Thurs Jan 17th before MLK holiday and returned to work Jan 28, so I was out of work 10 days but only took 6 vacation days. Nice having 2 weekends plus a holiday to recover.

I had my stitches taken out on Jan 30 (12 days post op) and only 1 person asked if I got a sunburn. So I was only at work for 3 days with stitches.

Work a strategy like that to maximize time off.

You are making a major decision about your future and I'd recommend giving yourself maximum time to recover with minimum stress.

And Don't bother telling anyone at work about your procedure. There's no reason to explain to them about your appearance.

Personally, I grew a beard ahead of time, and shaved it off shortly after HT, to add to the distraction.

Best!

I will try to work out some time around holiday like that. I guess the hardest part is going to be if I have to shave the front or not.

If not, I think I will be able to get away with it. If not, then I'll have to buzz my whole head and it'll be more obvious.

How does a doc decide if the recipient has to be completely shaved or not?

Current Regimen:

.5mg Fin ED

Minox 2x daily

Nizoral 1% 2-3 times a week

Fish Oil capsules w/ Omega-3

How does a doc decide if the recipient has to be completely shaved or not?

It's a personal preference for each doc. Some say they get greater density, it's a quicker surgery, they claim to get less shock-loss and better angling of the hair. Some disagree with that.

WHAT DO YOU WANT TO DO??? DECIDE SOON IF YOU WANT TO SHAVE.

Dr Arocha says that he gets no transection or shockloss, and great density without shaving.

Hasson and Wong say they like to shave because they can see the angles of the growth of hair, pack more densely (I think 50% not shaved, %70 shaved - I COULD BE WRONG ABOUT THIS) and evenly with a shaved head. However shaving with them is an option.

Regardless, here is the obvious. It take less time to do a shaved head because you don't have to move and work around longer hair.

My advice to you is this. Send your photos to top doctors. Tell them you are concerned about shaving and you want to know their thoughts. I could not shave my head, but do you REALLY care that much?? I've seen your pictures. Do you really care?

Contact ALL of the top doctors and cut to the chase with them. I've talked with almost all of these guys and they were good to talk with but you're INTERVIEWING them at this point. Make the best of it. I'm not going to take sides but since I've only had one HT I'll tell you the Dr Arocha did a great job with my existing hair. Just look at my blog.

Arocha

Rahal

Limmer

Hasson and Wong

Shapiro

Rose

Feller

Cooley

Alexander

Epstein

There are of course some other GREAT ones that left off.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Space

I have some years on you but my MPB is similar to yours - front third, receding at temples etc. The big difference is that I have dark brown hair. I completely empathise with your situation in terms of wanting to keep the procedure a secret from all but nearest and dearest. I have therefore scoured this forum for pictures of donor and recipient areas in the few weeks after the HT. Clearly some manage better than others to conceal the effects.

My procedure is next month (Feb 09 with Dr Feller) and I have secured a 3-week recovery period before re-appearing in a work context. I intend to post regular pictures in the early days, showing both scar and recipient area. Feel free to PM me with any questions about changes in appearance. You can then factor my experience into your thought processes as your prepare for your HT.

Best wishes

17 Feb 09 - 3,200 FUs by strip surgery (Dr Feller)

My Hair Loss Website