Doc's Expertise Needed!!!!!

will some kind doctor please take a look at this video and let me/us know what kind of graft placement is going on there. is this typical placement? is it stick-n-place technique? or what in the world is going on there??? i always thought that the grafts are placed with some kind of tiny forceps. do you see any advantages (pros or cons) to this placement technique?

here is the link (only first 30-40 sec. needs to be seen):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ-LiM_rbRM

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!!

will some kind doctor please take a look at this video and let me/us know what kind of graft placement is going on there. is this typical placement? is it stick-n-place technique? or what in the world is going on there??? i always thought that the grafts are placed with some kind of tiny forceps. do you see any advantages (pros or cons) to this placement technique?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!!

Mr. GQ,

It looks like a variation of stick and place using an all-in-one instrument that both makes the incision and implants the graft (it might also even extract the follicular units). This particular technique seems to avoid touching the actual graft, which may help reduce the risk of damage to the graft during placement.

Ultimately, there are a number of viable tools designed to make procedures easier. However, the only way to ensure a quality hair transplant is to combine the right tools with the right talent.

Best wishes,

Bill

thanks Bill!

so i assume that it's some kind of advanced custom patented tool that provides more good than harm per se.

also was i wrong when i assumed that majority of HT clinics here in US/Can place their grafts via forceps thus running the greater risk of crushing/damaging them?

****EDIT******

i also assume that whenever i see those immediate post-op pictures from these European clinics where the recipient area looks like "fresh grapes", it's safe to say they all use this same type of technique and this particular tool or its similar counterpart.

Originally posted by Mr. GQ:

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!!

Mr. GQ

I have looked at the video and the doctor appears to be using a "Choi implanter" or something like it. I think he is repeatedly passing the used instruments to an assistant off-screen and is being passed another instrument that has had a graft "loaded." The implanter has a hollow needle and an assistant loads a graft into the implanter's chamber (usually with forceps. Often there are a few assistants loading the implanters because they take longer to load than to use. The doctor makes an incision with the needle then pushes the plunger on top to insert the tip of the graft into the incision then uses the tip of the needle to guide the graft into the incision. It is up for debate whether there is more handling or less handling of grafts with this method compared to using forceps to insert a graft directly into an incision. Careful and skillful handling of grafts is required with either method.

I don't have any direct experience with this instrument. I have heard that the instrument can get dull quickly so some doctors still pre-make the incisions then just use the implanter to plant the grafts. Implanters tend to work best with straight, coarse single haired grafts or narrow doubles and are said to be less well-suited for larger follicular unit grafts. I believe that implanters are used more commonly in Korea than in Canada or the USA. However, when I did a Google image search I found the best photos and diagrams on a British site.

If another doctor has experience with implanters and would like to correct or modify my note, I promise that I won't be offended.

Kind regards,

Cam Simmons MD ABHRS

Seager Medical Group,

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Dr. Cam Simmons is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

your input and your comments are really appreciated Dr. Simmons.

i believe that Dr. Bisanga @ BHR clinic is using the same technique.

so nobody showcased this at any of the annual conferences? eh Bill?

i wish that few more doctors comment on this.

i asked specifically for dr. Devroye's opinion because he was online at that time, plus he is a fellow european.

maybe his fue technique uses the same tool although I doubt it since I have not seen "fresh grapes" effect on any of his post-op shots.

Originally posted by Abedogg:

GQ - I'm no doc, but if this is a tool that extracts and directly places, how can the doc be sure that the graft is not transected?

(assuming the graft stays in the instrument from donor to recip).

Abe

Abe

As far as I know this in only a tool for implantation and it can't be used for extraction. However one obtains grafts, those grafts are transferred to the implanter for placement.

I have never used them myself so I am not an implanter expert.

Cam Simmons MD ABHRS

Seager Medical Group,

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Dr. Cam Simmons is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

PGP,

who is Dr L'

this is what Dr Rassman said about it:

"The Choi implanter is just a surgical tool. It makes some aspects of the transplant easier to perform, especially for those people who did not develop the difficult placing skills with the more traditional transplant tools used throughout the world. An instrument is only as good as the person using it, so I can not package the tool with the technique. The Choi generally requires 'skinny' grafts, which tend to dry out more easily, therefore, this instrument requires special skills, different than those that do not have to make the grafts skinny. Some people believe that skinny grafts do not grow as well. I believe that in the right hands, with the years of experience, skinny grafts should grow as well a chubby grafts. The grafts we make are half way between skinny and chubby, just my preference.

The Choi implanter did not develop a following in the United States. In Asia and other parts of the world, it is very popular. I do not believe that it is any better than anything else that the surgeons have perfected in their native countries."

http://www.baldingblog.com/200...-the-choi-implanter/

the last paragraph is interesting.

my question is why not in the US if it makes the job easier? practice make perfect right?

i'm dying to know what Dr. Bisanga is using for his implatation. if anyone knows the answer please let me know.

Mr. GQ,

If you're looking for Dr. Devroye's opinion specifically, I'd suggest sending him a private message with a link to this thread asking him to respond when he has time.

Though physicians are involved in our community by posting photos and the occasional responses to questions, they hardly follow every topic.

Best wishes,

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

cool thanks Bill!

i went staright for the source and i asked THE MAN the question and here is his brief reply:

"It's an implanter. It's not exactly the choi but it's similar. As I know there are almost 3 different implanters in the market.

regards"

then i asked him if Bisanga is using the same tool here is that he said:

"I don't know. I think that Bisanga don't use an implanter, he has nurses that put the FU's. But he spent a tryining time in DHI Athens, and they use his DHI implanter too.

Regards"

does anyone know what DHI Athens results are? i'm preaty sure those Greek clinics are a nightmare reading these forums. not familiar with DHI Athens clinic though. anyone with any info/experiance with DHI.... please don't be shy icon_smile.gif

Mr.GQ

I agree with Dr. Simmons. Tried using the Choi implanter on a few cases years ago. I saw no advantage,regardless of the method of harvesting, the FU grafts need to be loaded unto the implanters. These loaded implanters are then handed to the Dr.who uses it to stick and place the graft into the scalp. It did not seem to offer any advantage in my eyes.

In addition, there is an extra step in handling,the loading of the implanter. The hairs needed to be left longer to assist in loading the grafts unto the implanter, so I do not think that FUE is an option with this placing method.