When to start Rogaine

Hi,

I am about a month out from my procedure. I started Rogaine a few days ago. Is this a good time to start and what is peoples experience with this working post-transplant.

My surgeon recommended to give it a try. Just wondering what people think. Also what about Propecia to get things kick-started?

The thing is, I feel like I had a fair amount of native hair loss after the procedure. Which is to be expected. Will this hair grow back? or is it as good as gone considering its native hair I would have eventually lost anyway?

that would stink, being that if you get 2500 grafts and lose 750 native hairs that never grow back.

Hi,

I am about a month out from my procedure. I started Rogaine a few days ago. Is this a good time to start and what is peoples experience with this working post-transplant.

My surgeon recommended to give it a try. Just wondering what people think. Also what about Propecia to get things kick-started?

The thing is, I feel like I had a fair amount of native hair loss after the procedure. Which is to be expected. Will this hair grow back? or is it as good as gone considering its native hair I would have eventually lost anyway?

that would stink, being that if you get 2500 grafts and lose 750 native hairs that never grow back.

Radioheads,

It is fine to start on Rogaine 1 month after your hair transplant. However, there's no hard evidence to suggest that Rogaine will jump start early transplanted hair growth. However, it won't harm anything. You may however, experience an initial hair shedding period that should cease in a few weeks to a couple months. Also, it's normal to experience "shock" loss of natural hair in areas that transplanted hair was placed in between or around it. This will return in time.

Personally, I don't like the idea of starting on hair loss medication only to cease its use, since any positive effects from the medication stops at that time.

I've seen or heard no indication that Propecia can jump start early hair growth.

I hope this helps.

Bill

thanks,

its good to know the shock loss will eventually come back. I was afraid since it is native hair which I would have lost anyway at some point, since it is in my balding pattern, it was done for. but thats encouraging info. thanks.