Barber on Long Island

I am getting ready for my first haircut after HT. The top is cut pretty short and the sides are longish. Most hair places are wide open with no privacy. I am looking for a place with cubicles or some other form of privacy so that I can talk with the stylist without the whole shop knowing my business. Any suggestions?

I am getting ready for my first haircut after HT. The top is cut pretty short and the sides are longish. Most hair places are wide open with no privacy. I am looking for a place with cubicles or some other form of privacy so that I can talk with the stylist without the whole shop knowing my business. Any suggestions?

I'm not familiar with your area at all, so I can't make any specific suggestions on places to go. When I got my first cut after my HT (about 4 weeks post-surgery), I just went to the next city over where I didn't know anyone, and I went during a slow time. I got my first cut with a #4 guard. I wasn't going to mention my scar to him at all, and I had a story prepared about it anyway. I don't think he was going to mention it or don't even know if he noticed it, but I ended up telling the story anyway.

NC30, you did pretty much the same I did. I went ahead and got the back and sides trimmed to a #2, though because Im lucky enough to be able to wear a ballcap all the time. I went to a stylist that I never go to on a side of town that Im never at. She didnt notice the scar before I told her, but I figure Id go ahead and let her know just in case she wasnt careful and "jigged" that damn gaurd into the scar. She just seemed really interested in the whole process, but I dont know if she was humoring me or not. I really didnt care! hahaha

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

I told my barber ahead of time that I was having a HT and asked if he could give me my first haircut after hours. I called him a day or two ahead of time and met him there at closing time. I've been going to him for years and he was glad to do it. I also gave him a much larger tip than usual. Just call and explain the situation and I'm sure yours will probably do the same. Good luck.

I have also thought about this. I have relegated myself to cutting at home until I can get more hair put in. I got a HT about a year ago. The transplanted hairs are growing fine, but I just got them in the front (630 hairs) and my thinning hair does not grow anymore. It seems like it is programmed to stop at a certain length.

I was going to the barber less than 4 months ago but he kept nicking me where the scar was. After my first HT the two ends of the scar spread so I had 2 bald spots on both sides. If I wore my side-hair long you couldnt see it. with a little coverup on the area you couldnt see it (in my eyes at least). problem is my top hair stopped growing, so growing it just on the sides made me look like sam kennison.

I recently got a scar revision and one side looks better while the other still looks bad. when the scab came off it took a bunch of hairs so I think they will grow back.

I would like to go back to the barber one day but since the hair only grows on the sides and the area where I got the HT, i feel like its a waste of money now. not to mention potentially embarrassing

Anyhow there are some great ideas that were brought up in this thread perhaps when I get some more hair I'll be able to return to a barber! icon_smile.gif

take care

Cas

630 FUT - 8/27/03

2200 FUT - 5/20/05

2000 FUT - 12/15/07

"i haven't been this bald since.... well... since I was born!"

hmm.. a barber.? The old days...

The kicker with me is, my buddies wife is a hair stylist. Him and his wife both know of my first HT, not the second. And almost everytime I see her, she wants to know when she can style my hair. I haven't told her there is nothing to style. I think her hopes mirrored mine.

I think she is overly interested in what was done, than styling. That's what you get for a stylist knowing.