Scalp Micropigmentation

Hi guys,

Can anyone answer me this questions about Scalp Micropigmentation:

1- Can we do it before a HT or it will affect the result of a future HT?

2- The Scalp Micropigmentation is reversible (in case of unsatisfactory result)?

3- How many years does it lasts? It´s necessary future touch-ups? 

4- It´s expensive?

Thank you all for your time and help.

Best regards

SMP can be done at any time.  Would I do it prior to an HT?  No.  While the doctor does work under magnification, I think this would impact his overall approach to the procedure.

Typically this process is done using organic ink which is metabolized by the body.  Eventually if would go away.  A legit place that knows what they're doing will probably do it several times to intensify the result and avoid from a patient returning because of too light of a result.

How long it lasts is a function of how the process is done,  how many touch ups are included with your initial visit, and how quickly your body metabolizes the ink.  

Check around for pricing and ask where they learned to do the process. Some may tell you it's SMP when in fact they are doing a tattoo with permanent ink.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pedro1982 said:

Hi guys,

Can anyone answer me this questions about Scalp Micropigmentation:

1- Can we do it before a HT or it will affect the result of a future HT?

2- The Scalp Micropigmentation is reversible (in case of unsatisfactory result)?

3- How many years does it lasts? It´s necessary future touch-ups? 

4- It´s expensive?

Thank you all for your time and help.

Best regards

Hi Pedro, 

1) Yes, it can be done before an HT. Obviously don't do them too close together because it would be a bit traumatic for the scalp. The only thing I warn patients about when it comes to doing SMP before the HT is that we are probably going to mess up the nice SMP work with our incisions. SMP is placed at a different level in the scalp compared to the grafts, but we have to get through that layer first. So chances are we may ruin some of the SMP you just for. Because of this, it may be better to wait until after (if you are sure you want to do both). 

2) A lot of people do temporary SMP which does fade. 

3) I believe the average is 24-36 months (though an SMP guru may correct me there). 

4) Much less compared to a surgery. I think it is in the hundreds or low thousands of dollars. 

Maybe Erik from Ahead Ink will come put in his two cents. He's the one I always bounce SMP questions off of! 

Hope this helps. 

• Like 1

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.