Flax Seed and Other Supplements

I found this on Dr. Weil's website, which I thought was interesting:

"Whatever the cause of your hair loss, you may be able to prevent further loss and encourage re-growth by including omega-3 fatty acids to your diet. Try to eat salmon, sardines, herring or mackerel two or three times a week or sprinkle two tablespoons of freshly ground flax seeds per day on your cereal or salads. Buy whole flax seeds, keep them in the refrigerator, and grind enough for a week at a time in a coffee grinder or blender. In addition, supplement your diet with the essential omega-6 fatty acid called GLA (gamma-linolenic acid) in the form of black currant oil or evening primrose oil, available in capsules or soft gels at health food stores. Take 500 mg of either twice a day. Be patient with this one. You won't see results for six to eight weeks." Source: Andrew Weil, M.D.

I already take two tablespoons of grounded Flax Seed that comes in a bag (you can buy at Walmart). What about this Omega-6 500 mg twice daily? Anybody on it? What other supplements do you recommend to maintain healthy hair?

Brian

I found this on Dr. Weil's website, which I thought was interesting:

"Whatever the cause of your hair loss, you may be able to prevent further loss and encourage re-growth by including omega-3 fatty acids to your diet. Try to eat salmon, sardines, herring or mackerel two or three times a week or sprinkle two tablespoons of freshly ground flax seeds per day on your cereal or salads. Buy whole flax seeds, keep them in the refrigerator, and grind enough for a week at a time in a coffee grinder or blender. In addition, supplement your diet with the essential omega-6 fatty acid called GLA (gamma-linolenic acid) in the form of black currant oil or evening primrose oil, available in capsules or soft gels at health food stores. Take 500 mg of either twice a day. Be patient with this one. You won't see results for six to eight weeks." Source: Andrew Weil, M.D.

I already take two tablespoons of grounded Flax Seed that comes in a bag (you can buy at Walmart). What about this Omega-6 500 mg twice daily? Anybody on it? What other supplements do you recommend to maintain healthy hair?

Brian

I take fish oil for general health reasons. I would be surprised to hear it has an effect on hair loss, unless your hair loss was pretty mild.

I think vitamins and supplements are fine, but I would not expect any dramatic results from them regarding your hair loss.

I posted this on another discussion thread:

"The best source of Omega-3 fatty acids are in fish and fish oil. For Omega-6 fatty acids, the source is plant and plant oils. Your body CANNOT produce these fats and they are essential. They are used in cell membranes and the and the production of substances that help regulate blood pressure and blood clotting. You HAVE to get them from food.

An Omega-6 fat called linoleic acid is found in sunflower oil, walnuts, red meats, and poultry.

An Omega-3 fat called linolenic acid is found in fatty cold-water fish like tuna and salmon as well as in flaxseed oil.

All the information that I gave above is not just off the top of my head. I got it from a study that basically studies good vs. bad fats. (I hope that I didnt plagorize it too much! heh heh)

Just remember as a general rule of thumb: if its good for your heart, liver, and skin, its probably good for your hair (through circulation, etc.) though I have read that diet contributes to less than 3% of all documented hair loss cases. (Dont quote me on that, I am going by memory on that part)"

Im a firm believer in a good diet. After all, how can one expect a healthy body after chowing down on crap day after day?

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

I doubt it will help your hair, but Omega 3's have been shown to reduce heart disease...12 world studies on treating depression...ongoing studies on bipolar disorder..possibly Alzheimer's....It is also generally anti-inflammatory. Standard american diet is composed of excess omega 6 fatty acids and deficient in omega 3's. I like the supplements IF they have been purified to remove heavy metals. Studies usually dosed from 1500 to 3000mg per day. Too much seafood or predator fish can expose you to mercury. Flaxseed is 50% omega 3's, Plain old raw walnuts are 12% omega 3's..keep them both in the freezer because they go rancid quickly...omega 3's are easily oxidized.

probably more than you wanted to know icon_smile.gif

• 1 month later...

to treat hairloss I am doing the following:

1. MSM 3000mg

2. Rogaine 2x daily

3. Propecia 1mg daily

4. Nioxin shampoo and rinse, daily

5. Mega Man (just overall)

I feel like a freaking druggie icon_razz.gif

I guess I'll add some Omega 6 to the mix.....

630 FUT - 8/27/03

2200 FUT - 5/20/05

2000 FUT - 12/15/07

"i haven't been this bald since.... well... since I was born!"

baldcasanova,

Before you go out spending your money, remember that only a very small amount of hair loss cases are attributed to diet. If you think your regular dietary intake is not contributing enough, then I would definitely consider supplementing purely from a nutitional standpoint. I just do not want you to get your hopes up that simply adding this to regimen will produce results.

However, like I said earlier: I am a big fan of a good diet. I also feel that it is imerative that every adult supplement with a good multi-vitamin (the one you are using is one of the best, BTW). As far as helping add to the population on your scalp, I am skeptical.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...

that makes sense. i've been taking it for a little whhile, and i've had some problems with stomachaches. i think i've finally figured out for sure that it is these flax seeds. I stopped taking them for a few weeks when my stomach aches were really bad, and then i ate some today and i feel like shit. I'm never taking these things again. That being said I'm not flat out recommending anyone not take them, but i'd say that if you do pay attention to any stomach pains and bowel movements and be conscious that the flax could be what is causing your problem.