Need Urgent Advice on Hair System

12 minutes ago, Postdoc said:

Well, guys routinely wear hats to cover transplanted grafts and you won't need to worry about grafts being exposed to the sun.

I was under the impression that sunlight was good for our hair, given how our bodies get vitamin D from the sun. Looks like I'm all set!

20 hours ago, Postdoc said:

Well, guys routinely wear hats to cover transplanted grafts and you won't need to worry about grafts being exposed to the sun.

Hey Postdoc,

It's day 2 of wearing the system. There is no discomfort at all and really feels like I'm not wearing anything. With the concerns about traction alopecia and tape having been resolved, I'm curious as to whether the base of a hair system allows space for the hairs beneath it. This might not be the case for systems that are bonded with glue, but since you used to wear clip-ons as well, do you have any knowledge about this? I'm assuming that clip-on systems have a looser fit and will not lie smack right on top of the scalp.

I think most HT surgeons would recommend clip-on systems as being better for the transplanted hair than ones that are glued or taped, although I doubt there's actual evidence one way or another. Probably the worst would be a glued-down, non-porous mono base. At the end of the day, hair just grows whatever you do to it. What sort of base is yours? French lace?

46 minutes ago, Postdoc said:

I think most HT surgeons would recommend clip-on systems as being better for the transplanted hair than ones that are glued or taped, although I doubt there's actual evidence one way or another. Probably the worst would be a glued-down, non-porous mono base. At the end of the day, hair just grows whatever you do to it. What sort of base is yours? French lace?

It's a combination of lace and a thin skin membrane according to my stylist. Are certain bases superior to others?

Polyurethane ('thin skin') is much more durable than lace, but lace is generally preferred for full-size systems as it has a better look and feel. You've probably got a surround of polyurethane with lace in the middle, which is fine. 

It's strange revisiting all the hair system stuff after six years of ditching systems in favour of hair transplantation! TBH, having a HT was one of the best decisions of my life.   

17 hours ago, Postdoc said:

Polyurethane ('thin skin') is much more durable than lace, but lace is generally preferred for full-size systems as it has a better look and feel. You've probably got a surround of polyurethane with lace in the middle, which is fine. 

It's strange revisiting all the hair system stuff after six years of ditching systems in favour of hair transplantation! TBH, having a HT was one of the best decisions of my life.   

I agree. I definitely won't be able to stand the constant maintenance and low-level anxiety of wearing a system. Here's hoping that my grafts grow! 

@Postdoc

So I went for servicing of my piece today and found out that the tape used on the front actually got attached to about 0.5 inch of my hairline. Naturally, I was quite pissed, but no hairs came off with the tape and they appeared to be for lack of a better word, fine.

You mentioned in one of your earlier posts that hair grows whatever you do to it, so I'm wondering what about tape you were concerned about. I also have a nagging worry that the tape could be suffocating the hairs, but you'd know better.

Thanks!

Edited by Leftwithrope

Hairs can’t actually be suffocated as the growth is at the follicle level and it’s irrelevant what’s happening on the scalp itself. The exception to this is excessive exposure to sunlight as UVB goes deep. Some guys might choose to shave the hair where the system is attached, but personally, I wouldn’t as I’d want to see the little buggers growing. I’d suggest using narrower, stronger tape in front of the hairline and use plenty of solvent when releasing the tape.

1 hour ago, Postdoc said:

Hairs can’t actually be suffocated as the growth is at the follicle level and it’s irrelevant what’s happening on the scalp itself. The exception to this is excessive exposure to sunlight as UVB goes deep. Some guys might choose to shave the hair where the system is attached, but personally, I wouldn’t as I’d want to see the little buggers growing. I’d suggest using narrower, stronger tape in front of the hairline and use plenty of solvent when releasing the tape.

Thanks for the insight Postdoc. I'm lucky to have you around for my system queries.