Dr. Nakatsui, vertex 5 years post op

This is a patient who had thinning of the vertex of his scalp (i.e. the crown) and he wanted to restore it so that it looked better although he didn't want it too thick so that it looked odd when the hair eventually thinned around it. We transplanted the crown for him using 406 single grafts, 555 double grafts, and 209 three hair grafts, for a total of 1170 follicular unit grafts. In the photo showing our plan, you can see we first mapped out the hair direction and angle, as well as the primary area of hair loss.

The hair grew in well but in the post op photos, you can see that his hair has turned white over the last few years, except for the transplanted hair. If it were not for this difference in hair color, it would be difficult to tell he had a hair transplant. This also illustrates the concept of donor dominance as the donor hair was taken from the occipital scalp, which usually turns white later than the rest of the scalp. As a result, hair transplant patients should expect that the transplanted hair will usually turn white later than the surrounding natural hair.

In this circumstance, patients will often color their hair until the hair color evens out.

Dr. Nakatsui

Hair Transplant Edmonton

44085404225_5ba61859a1_h.jpg

44085403845_488a021a4d_h.jpg

31123945058_22211ed5cf_h.jpg

31123945678_b949324000_h.jpg44085404855_fd29b7f34a_h.jpg

Interesting looks from the pictures hes thinned out some more over time. Does he want to add more density.... another 1500 grafts would really look good.

If he was too so in your professional opinion how many grafts/what were you plan of attack be?

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for the comment and sorry for the late reply!  I agree he has thinned out more, which is to be expected over time (in this case, 5 years). He has thinned around the periphery of the transplanted area, as well as the pre-existing hair that was present prior to the transplant. 

At this point, I do not think he wants to add more density. He is comfortable with a mildly thinned look for his age. He just did not want to look bald in the vertex area, which he would have had he not done a transplant.

If we were to thicken the surrounding hair and the transplanted area, I think 1500 grafts would be a good number.

Thanks again for the comment.

Dr. N