Im 18 and showing signs of losing my hair , advice would be nice pls

Hello all , I am 18 and am showing signs of losing my hair , I've been using regaine for about a year and Male pattern baldness is in my family , I'm looking at my options to try and stop losing my hair permanently (Transplant or Drugs) I would appreciate any advice on this topic as im obviously young and Willing to learn 

Thank you 

Welcome, young man.

Pictures, please.

Let's get you on finasteride asap, you''re young and can possibly halt hair loss in its tracks with finasteride use, or at least mitigate it so that future surgery can be explored without dealing with total hair loss.

Please go to a general practitioner or dermatologist and get finasteride (brand name Propecia) as soon as you can.

A generic finasteride will save you money, so you should ask for that.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

2 hours ago, Speegs said:

Welcome, young man.

Pictures, please.

Let's get you on finasteride asap, you''re young and can possibly halt hair loss in its tracks with finasteride use, or at least mitigate it so that future surgery can be explored without dealing with total hair loss.

Please go to a general practitioner or dermatologist and get finasteride (brand name Propecia) as soon as you can.

A generic finasteride will save you money, so you should ask for that.

To echo what you said, If MPB runs in your family and you're already losing your hair at 18, look into Fin asap.  I won't tell you whether you should take it or not, because you need to talk to your doctor about the potential side effects and if it's worth taking it. With that being said, Fin can literally save your hair moving forward. If not, it should at least subdue your hair loss and a less aggressive transplant in the future could be an option. 

Edited by newpatient99

Some docs may feel he is too young to start finasteride and really the best advice is to make an in person appointment with a reputable HT doctor or dermatologist who is experienced in treating MPB.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY