How many days off from Weights/Cardio after HT?

I am training for an Ironman this year and I was also thinking about doing my FUE transplant this year. How many days off of cardio/weights do I really need to take off?

Thanks

Nyfan21

I had strip and got back to the gym after 10 days. FUE may have a faster recovery schedule but check with your doctor.

I know that the first time I visited the crapper after HT i felt as if all the grafts were being pushed out of my head along with copious amounts of blood (none of which was actually happening thank God). I would at least wait until sutures/staples are removed.

Weights aren't my thing but I do a lot of cardio-based circuit training. I picked it up about a week after the staples from my strip surgery went out, so about 18-19 days post-op. My doc told me most exercise is fine earlier on (after staple removal), but to avoid crunch-type exercises where you clasp the back of your head for a bit longer - about a month. But then if you clasp the back of your head, you're doing the crunches wrong!

Definitely less wait with FUE, but check with your doc.

Dr Lindsey posted a short snappy opinion on this thread:

http://hair-restoration-info.c...?r=66010298#66010298

17 Feb 09 - 3,200 FUs by strip surgery (Dr Feller)

My Hair Loss Website

1 month, imo for a strip. The flat bench is pretty rough on the donor. But, i'm notsure about fue.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

I feel the estimates here are a bit too conservative. The danger with exertion following this kind of surgery seems to be more to the graft sites than to the donor region; all you're really worrying about with regard to the latter is too much stress, and pain. Four or five days post-op., you ought to be good to start moving around again (this is for the strip-method). If you feel pain or stretching, and you think you're over-doing it, trust yourself: stop. If all feels OK, I don't see the harm. This long after the procedure, your grafts are more or less "set," and perspiring a little oughtn't to knock them around. All this said, if you're concerned about training, I recommend you consult your physician before springing on any of the suggestions posted here.

miked- hopefully with the FUE I am back in the gym faster than the Strip.

PGP- Thanks for that advice.

Acrobaz- i'll check with the Doc

Judge- Only going to do this 1 Ironman...too much training.

Curious- Thanks, I guess asking the Doc is probably the best thing to do. Thanks everyone.

One perhaps minor concern I would like to point out. You were probably sent home with antibiotics after the HT.

However, be mindful of the fact that if your training involves a gym then that is probably not the most hygenic place to expose your grafts and donor holes to so soon after the procedure. I would avoid this real potential for infection until after 10 days post op to make sure everything has scabbed over nicely.