Rogaine only user!

latinlotus

I would like to know whether anyone had got any result with Rogaine. So far, it seems that every time someone claims that Rogain works, he is actually using in combination with Propecia. So it is very difficult to pinpoint Rogain's effectiveness, if any.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

I would like to know whether anyone had got any result with Rogaine. So far, it seems that every time someone claims that Rogain works, he is actually using in combination with Propecia. So it is very difficult to pinpoint Rogain's effectiveness, if any.

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

mmhce:

You took Rogain alone for how long? and then when did you start taking Propecia? Thanks

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

That was years ago, but I believe I started taking minoxidil, just a few weeks before finasteride.

Like I said the reaction was instant.

Within the first couple of weeks, I could see and feel the vellus hair growing.

Additionally, I started taking 15% minoxidil a few months later and again the higher strength minoxidil caused the hair to thicken in a matter of weeks.

Unfortunately MPB will continue to advance in ALL persons and my hairline still receded even though slower.

take care...

mmhce:

I am not doubting your words, but for you to be certain that minox is effective only after a few weeks use is hard for me to believe. Hair typically grow about 1 cm per month and for you to be able to see with the naked eyes the difference is almost impossible. And even if you had taken some pictures from the start of minox until the start of finasteride (which you say is only a few weeks period), it will also be very difficult to see the difference.

You may have confused some tingling on your scalp, after a few days of minox, to be signs of growth.

Thanks for the reply, based on your experience, i think i will still be looking for someone who has a minox ONLY results.

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

That's ok.

My experience with minox ONLY REALLY was limited.

I was advised by the doctor that minoxidil and finasteride should work synergistically for the best effect.

You're free to garner responses from far and wide.

But I am NOT referring to terminal hair growth.

The quick effect I am referring to the sprouting of the vellus hair. 1cm/month is the growth rate of terminal hair. Vellus hair does not even grow to 1cm.

Whether or not a patient vellus hair thickens into terminal hair is another matter.

No. I am not confusing any tinkling sensation. I have photodocumentation.

take care...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm planning on starting Rogaine only pretty soon. I'll let you know how it goes. Fingers crossed - it's not exactly ideal for my situation, frontal thinning. Considering taking some Saw Palmetto since the Fin sides were *almost* tolerable, and I was probably taking too much for my body. (1.25g/day - I'm only 5'6" and 64kg)

Anyone know how good the chances of vellus hairs becoming terminal are, with Minox?

And is it OK to start with 5%?

I have never used Rogaine, but one of my good friends in college used it for about three years before quiting out of frustration. Looking at him, it did not seem to do it any good -- he lost more hair than I did over the same period, and I was taking nothing at the time.

I used minoxidil only for about ten years. I believe it slowed my hair loss. Three weeks ago I had my first HT, and I started taking finasteride today. What product has 15% minoxidil? I have also switched to the foam which supposedly has a better absorbtion rate. I like the foam much better with the main reason being it does not give me a dry flaky scalp like the liquid.

latinlotus,

My father is an excellent responder to Rogaine alone. He used to have a big thinning spot in the back of his head and it has improved significantly with using Rogaine only once daily.

Most people's hair loss condition slows down or improves slightly with Rogaine and/or Propecia. However, most don't regrow a significant amount of hair - but once in awhile, it makes a huge difference.

Bill