Evaluating where I am on NW scale

Hi Everyone,

After much reading on the forum I have finally decided to get a HT. I wanted to upload some pre op pictures and get the community's opinion about where am I on the Norwood scale and also how many grafts I should get for good results and whether my donor area can support that. I know that I will get that information from whichever surgeon I will end up choosing but want to get a rough idea before I start the procedure.

I saw on the forum that keeping a longer hair gives an illusion of a fuller hair, what do you think is the ideal hair length to best see the baldness pattern? Is the shorter the better?

Thanks!

• Administrators

Can you post some pictures?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators

Your hair loss isn’t specifically listed on the Norwood scale, but you are a Norwood 6. You still have a lot of miniaturized hair, but the pattern is there. I would suggest treating your hair loss through medication first finasteride and minoxidil, than re-evaluating after a year.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Really? Norwood 6? Wow, I wasn't expecting that.

What about my donor area? Doesn't seem to good either, right?

Can you give your opinion as to how many grafts I would need to get good results and how much do you think my donor area can support?

I'm not taking medicine because I took finasteride for 2 years and had strong side-effects.

• Administrators

It’s a hard thing to hear I know, but if you look at the thinning pattern you see that everything on top is thinning. This means eventually all of those hairs will be gone, leaving you with a Norwood 5A to 6 level of hair loss. Your donor area appears sparse, typically individuals with African ancestry have less density overall. However, the follicles are generally a lot thicker, so you’ll need less grafts to achieve the same result as someone with fine hair would, but there’s a fine line where you don’t want to deplete your donor area. Honestly I wouldn’t touch the midscalp or crown, I would focus on rebuilding the hairline 2,500 grafts should suffice, then you should try and maintain the rest of the hair with minoxidil, PRP, laser therapy, ketoconazle shampoo etc.

View my thread