Propecia and Young Men?

DanielTaylor2

What is the effectivness rate in propecia for young men like myself 22 years old..in preventing and possibly regrowing thinning hair. There are no bald spots, hairline is not recessed just thinning in hairline and top. I have spoken to a few docs and we decided that i will get on an oral and then in about 1.5 to teo years we can go with a much more agressive HT. any young guys with results to share? what about avodart? aor should i just stick with propecia? thanks!

There is data on this at the Propecia.com site

Basically (as I remember it) 83% of users maintained their hair count (did not lose any more hair).

66% of users actually increased hair count (showed some regrowth).

Age was not a factor in the study, but reports are that the sooner you get on Propecia, the better. It seems to work better on 'recent' hair loss. Since you are a younger guy, we can probably assume you've started to lose hair recently.

Hopefully you will respond well to Propecia, and it will accomplish your goals, or at least come close enough. The best possible scenario is that Propecia works well enough for you to skip the hair transplant completely. Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

Propecia lasted me a good 3-4 years; then a wave of shedding. I had my first ht a 31. Started propecia around 27. The propecia will help but not forever.

when does propecia stop working?? and what after? is there a stronger med to go on after??

• 5 years later...

Can the claims of eastcoast be substantiated? Anyone here experience severe shedding a few years after taking propecia?

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

• 6 months later...

I started taking Propecia when I was 20 due to a heavy genetic predisposition to hair-loss. I had a receding hair-line and bald spot at the time.

Propecia worked pretty well. It definitely slowed down my hair-loss and visually my friends/family told me my hair looked thicker.

I did however get hit pretty hard by the side effects. I wasn't really able to hold an erection when having sex with my girlfriend and I noticed a decrease in ejaculation volume. I did have occasional "brain fog" where I would literally forget why I entered rooms or searched something. I figured most of the side effects were psychosomatic and I'll admit that I did read Propecia side effects forum. However once I stopped getting morning erections in any frequency I got worried.

I think what really sealed the deal for me was during 2 weeks that I was off propecia, I had raging erections and everything went back to normal.

Anyway--everyone is different and if you can tolerate the side effects, Propecia really helps.

My only concern is long-term issues with the drug, particularly sterility or ED effects.

Are there any alternatives to Propecia on the market?