genetically created hair

Whats the most recent info on genetically created hair. Is it on the horizon. If so, would this mean that hairs could be created to match any volume, width, etc. From the HT's I have seen, the only indication that one has been performed on someone is the fact that the hairs from the back of the head are stronger and thicker which results in a moderately unnatural look. The transplanted hair is thin yet thick at the same time. If hairs could be fabricated this may resolve most ht problems. In addition, would they become cheaper? A bulk or the surgery time comes from the removal. Large staffs would not be an issue. If not, whats stopping this science and where can I monitor.

Whats the most recent info on genetically created hair. Is it on the horizon. If so, would this mean that hairs could be created to match any volume, width, etc. From the HT's I have seen, the only indication that one has been performed on someone is the fact that the hairs from the back of the head are stronger and thicker which results in a moderately unnatural look. The transplanted hair is thin yet thick at the same time. If hairs could be fabricated this may resolve most ht problems. In addition, would they become cheaper? A bulk or the surgery time comes from the removal. Large staffs would not be an issue. If not, whats stopping this science and where can I monitor.

There are some interesting things happening regarding the bio engineering of hair. A company that I consult for named Intercytex has been able to take human dermal papilla cells (located at the hair bulb region), inject them into mice that are genetically engineered to prohibit rejection, and grow human hair on the mice. Human trials are underway.

Dr George Cotsarellis at the University of Pennsylvania has been able to take stem cells and obtain human hairs from the cells.I believe that his work was published in the journal Nature.

Various groups are working on gene therapy to try to find the genes that control baldness and then modify the genes to correct the problem.Theoretically one might be able to find the genes controlling various substances, alter the genes and place the altered genes in benign viruses or bacteria and then have affected persons acquire the viruses or bacteria by various means.Hopefully the genes would produce the correct inhibitory or promoting substance to either prevent or possibly treat the baldness.

Paul T Rose, MD

813 259 9889

612 965 4247

paultrose@yahoo.com

Paul T. Rose, MD, JD

President ISHRS

Board of Trustees ISCLS

Dr. Paul Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians