I'm looking for a transplant surgeon!

Hey everyone!

I am a Norwood 3 vertex so I'm receding in the crown with moderate to server thinning in the crown and significantly slower thinning on the rest of my hair on top.

I'm 25, I started noticing hair loss at about 17 and its slowly but surely got worse over the years.

I'm now at a point where I'm severely unhappy with my hair and its only been Toppic hair fibres that have allowed me to be okay with my situation until now. My hairloss is not terrible though but for a single 25 year old who's hair has always been a huge thing for me, I can't allow it to get any worse.

I'm using rogaine on and off for the last year and a half but I haven't noticed any change. I also take Saw Palmetto supplement.

I visited The Private Clinic in London twice where I've had consultations with both Dr Reddy and Dr Thomy Kouremada-Zioga.

Although i'd usually just go with the first name given to me I understand that this is definitely something that I want to spend time on choosing the correct surgeon for me but I don't really know where to start.

I'm happy to travel, and i'm happy to pay for the best results. Where should I be looking at/contacting?

Any comments are more than welcome and appreciated (sorry no photos but I currently have toppic hair fibres in so pictures I took now would be misleading. Happy to upload some later if needed)

Thanks everyone :)!

17 is a young age for this to begin, but having made it to 25 as a NW3V is a good sign. You're right that being willing to travel is important - going with the first name given isn't wise in this field. I would suggest taking some photos when you can (after you've washed the Toppik away!) and uploading them here. I've got a picture in my head of what your hair might be like, but often verbal description and reality are very different.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

I don't usually have it this short actually but yes the hair on the top of my head is definitely thinner than the sides and back but i wouldn't say too significantly. My dad's dad is bald on top from an early age, my dad's brother has just gone completely bald on top aswel and my dad and his other brother are both thinning/receding. My mum's dad still has hair but thinner than in his youth (very thick then). Thanks for taking the time to reply

Your hair is actually better than I was expecting. It's debatable whether your recession has reached the NW3 stage yet and your crown isn't too bad. You have some diffuse thinning on top but I don't think that or the crown is thin enough to treat surgically. It's really only the temples that could be improved at this point.

I forgot to mention before that using Rogaine on and off isn't a good idea. You have to be consistent with it for it to work.

Hey guys,

Thanks for replies

I was taking Finasteride for a short time but I also take a low dose medication for anxiety and (stupidly i know) came off this anxiety medication rapidly and experienced very bad anxiety for a period until I started retaking the medication. I stopped Finasteride at that time because I had heard some people have this effect from taking it so I wasn't sure weather if it was Finasteride or the sudden stop of the anxiety medication which caused this. When i went for a consultation with Dr Thomy in Harley Street she advised not to go back on it but to take Saw Palmetto instead, which i now do. Should I retry Finasteride?

Mr Thomy also agreed that the crown thinning wasn't bad enough to treat surgically which I agree with aswel and especially with a little help from Toppic the crown isn't an issue for me (yet!). In terms of the temples and the 'broken' hairline, what should be my next step in seeking out the best surgeon for me?

Thanks guy! :)

Hey guys,

Thanks for replies

I was taking Finasteride for a short time but I also take a low dose medication for anxiety and (stupidly i know) came off this anxiety medication rapidly and experienced very bad anxiety for a period until I started retaking the medication. I stopped Finasteride at that time because I had heard some people have this effect from taking it so I wasn't sure weather if it was Finasteride or the sudden stop of the anxiety medication which caused this. When i went for a consultation with Dr Thomy in Harley Street she advised not to go back on it but to take Saw Palmetto instead, which i now do. Should I retry Finasteride?

Mr Thomy also agreed that the crown thinning wasn't bad enough to treat surgically which I agree with aswel and especially with a little help from Toppic the crown isn't an issue for me (yet!). In terms of the temples and the 'broken' hairline, what should be my next step in seeking out the best surgeon for me?

Hi Alvez,

I personally think you should give the Finasteride another go. You could start with just taking 0.5mg (half a tab) every other day for a few months and monitor whether it causes you any issues. If it does, then it's not for you. If you cope OK you could gradually increase the dosage.

As for the Saw Palmetto, I took it myself for several years and it didn't make a difference, in fact I'm yet to see a scalp where it has.

If you are getting away with using fibres then you should carry on as long as you get away with it, just remember to cover your face and nose (scarf) when applying them, you don't know what damage they can do if you inhale them.

If all goes well with the Finasteride, then I would give it a chance to kick in for 6 months to a year and then look at where you are. There is the possibility then to have a procedure of about 1500 - 1800 grafts to strengthen you hairline and fill your temples depending on how much your miniaturizing hairs can recover through Fin usage.

Hey - thanks for the replies.

I will reconsider Propecia again.

Both Dr Reddy and Dr Zioga Thomy were both happy to preform a procedure now and that is what I'd like to go ahead with. So now my only question left is which surgeon/practice should I go and speak to? I'm happy to travel and happy to pay for a good result so I need help in knowing how to go about finding the best option for myself. Are there any specific practices/surgeons who are widely considered to be the best in the business?

Thanks everyone

Hey - thanks for the replies.

I will reconsider Propecia again.

Both Dr Reddy and Dr Zioga Thomy were both happy to preform a procedure now and that is what I'd like to go ahead with. So now my only question left is which surgeon/practice should I go and speak to? I'm happy to travel and happy to pay for a good result so I need help in knowing how to go about finding the best option for myself. Are there any specific practices/surgeons who are widely considered to be the best in the business?

Thanks everyone

Hi Alves,

If you are willing to travel then you might want to consider my doctor, Dr Bhatti in India. I can put you through to many patients in the UK who are more than wiling to share their fabulous experiences.

You could also contact a few other of the interactive map on this site and maybe a few others mentioned on other sites. This way you will get a feel for each Dr and clinic which will help you make a more informed decision.

All the best.

Hey guys,

Thanks for replies

Stopping an anxiety medication is far more likely than Finasteride to be the cause of your increased anxiety. They often have very bad withdrawal/rebound effects. Finasteride doesn't suit everyone, so I'm hesitant to suggest with too much enthusiasm that you jump back on it, but it's worth trying as it can be very effective for diffuse thinners like yourself.

Stopping an anxiety medication is far more likely than Finasteride to be the cause of your increased anxiety. They often have very bad withdrawal/rebound effects. Finasteride doesn't suit everyone, so I'm hesitant to suggest with too much enthusiasm that you jump back on it, but it's worth trying as it can be very effective for diffuse thinners like yourself.

Just taking a very small initial dose of finasteride sent me into a anxiety episode which lasted a few weeks. I'd be be careful making medical diagnosis without consulting a trained professional.

Just taking a very small initial dose of finasteride sent me into a anxiety episode which lasted a few weeks. I'd be be careful making medical diagnosis without consulting a trained professional.

I'm not saying that Finasteride cannot cause anxiety, but on balance it would seem that stopping an anxiety medication would be more likely to cause those sorts of problems. But of course, a doctor ought to be involved.