Beard and Chest hair for crown/midscalp

Hi all,

It happens so that my donor is limited and not in the best shape. Can you guys share your thoughts on the success rate of using Beard and Chest hair?

I am lucky to have a lot of beard and chest hair with good caliber. I have been called a bear and a wearwolf by friends and family. I am hoping to capitalize on this condition if possible...

Please don't freak out -->

IMG_3784.JPG.2f108d089cc5b4138bbc352485a1eba1.JPG

IMG_3787.JPG.d0e1e7b74ef1eb3793df4e984df2470a.JPG

I didn't have donor hair from the chest or beard, but would if I had enough chest/back hair. If I was fairly certain scarring wouldn't be an issue, I'd definitely have it taken from the neck area of my beard in the event of another HT, but I haven't been able to gather enough information to make that determination.

I think things to consider on the beard would be how it might scar. You seem to have a darker complexion, so depending on how you scar, you might want to consult with a physician on how the scars might contrast to your skin.

I found this thread helpful:

StaggerLee Gets Repired By Dr. Konior: 1710 FUE, 150 Beard Hair Grafts Into Scars - Page 4 - Forum By and for Hair Loss Patients

All the best.

I didn't have donor hair from the chest or beard, but would if I had enough chest/back hair. If I was fairly certain scarring wouldn't be an issue, I'd definitely have it taken from the neck area of my beard in the event of another HT, but I haven't been able to gather enough information to make that determination.

I think things to consider on the beard would be how it might scar. You seem to have a darker complexion, so depending on how you scar, you might want to consult with a physician on how the scars might contrast to your skin.

I found this thread helpful:

StaggerLee Gets Repired By Dr. Konior: 1710 FUE, 150 Beard Hair Grafts Into Scars - Page 4 - Forum By and for Hair Loss Patients

All the best.

Thanks! I have heard about the pitted scars. Perhaps

@shera or other reps from docs who do body hair can speak to pitting among south asian skin

Thanks! I have heard about the pitted scars. Perhaps

@shera or other reps from docs who do body hair can speak to pitting among south asian skin

Hi sadhairlossman,

I can speak only for our Clinic (Dr. Bhatti/Darling Buds India). Dr. Bhatti usually targets the "shadowy area of the chin" or the underside of the chin for extractions. Regarding the scarring in the area, I have not seen any. I have personal experience with this. I had 300 grafts extracted from the underside of my chin and planted just behind my hairline. Attaching a picture of my chin (donor area) just a few weeks after the procedure. As you can tell, the beard density has gone down because of the grafts being taken out but there is no scarring. I am of South East Asian origin.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best regards,

California

Beard_3_post_op.thumb.jpg.5a5989e73ab500ba73e918cea45cc96e.jpg

DarlingBuds FUE's profile photo 

North America Representative and Patient Advisor for:
Dr. Tejinder Bhatti, Darling Buds Hair Transplant Center, Chandigarh, India.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Two issues:

1. Would there be enough native head donor hair to have an ascetically acceptable ratio? In other words, are you planning to fill in a completely bald area with just chest or beard hair? It would stand out noticeably and many surgeons would pass on you if that was your plan.

2. Can you afford the cost of needing all the extra grafts? Typically body hair costs more per graft to extract. Also, these are more "fragile" and don't survive as well, meaning you'll need more grafts to make up for a lower yield, unless you have a surgeon who is adept at those kinds of grafts and has a good track record. Last, body hairs are singles, whereas scalp donor comes in singles, doubles and triples. To get 1,000 hairs through body grafts would take 1,000 FUE's. But scalp FUE's might need, for instance, 700 grafts to result in 1,000 hairs being transplanted.

I have found that HDC in Cyprus and HLC in Turkey have a great track record when it comes to beard and body grafts. I would consult with them about beard grafts. I'm going to have my first transplant with HDC partly because they are highly skilled with beard grafts and have suggested to use them in order to avoid pillaging my limited supply in my donor zone.

• 2 weeks later...