Transplantation of body / beard hair in connection with finasteride

Hi Guys,

in a "regular" hair transplantation surgery, it is advisable to take FIN first to strengthen the donor, then to keep the native, AGA-prone hair.

On the other hand, the consequence of taking FIN is a significant decline in body hair or beard density (I can confirm this myself after about 14 months of taking FIN).

If I'd consider undergoing a body / beard hair transplantation (for example to fill up my crown), is it useful to take FIN then? You'd reduce the possible body / beard graft harvest then, rigth?

What about post-surgery? Does transplanted beard / body hair take over genetic information of the scalp hair and thus become resistant to AGA by FIN?

I'm not sure, but I think I remember some clinics which perform BHT recommend discontinuing FIN a few months earlier - can anyone confirm that?

• Moderators

I stopped taking it some years back because I felt it was no longer working very well and it was also making me lose body hair which I knew I had to eventually use if I was ever going to have a chance at a decent head of hair. Since I stopped taking it my body hair has increased in length, thickness and the amount of hair on my body. I'm still gaining new body hairs where I never had any.

I've since had a lot of body hair added to my head, but because I'm not on fin anymore my head hair has been falling out faster over the past years as a result. I'm hoping that the body hair being moved to my head will more than compensate over the long run.

What about post-surgery? Does transplanted beard / body hair take over genetic information of the scalp hair and thus become resistant to AGA by FIN?
Now that is an excellent question that I never thought of. I can tell you that my body hair is slowly conforming to act like head hair as far as growing longer and less kinky/wiry.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

dionysis,

That's an interesting question and one that I think requires further research. To be honest, when I took finasteride, I really didn't notice a decline in body hair. Of course, I have a lot of it, so everyone may be different. But I honestly don't think anyone (but physicians) can answer this question with real confidence. I've only heard that a reduction in body hair is possible with finasteride, but to be honest, it doesn't really make sense to me since it's suppose to stop the production of DHT, what is responsible for hair loss on the scalp. More testosterone in the body (since it doesn't convert to DHT) typically results in more hair (including on the body), not less. At least, this is my understanding. I'd love to hear a doctor chime in on this.

Best wishes,

Bill

@BeHappy: may I ask how old you are? I am in my mid-40ies, so I'm not sure about the impact of Fin on my hair...

@Bill: you are right, there's not enough experience in this topic... this is all I found:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5447335/

I definitely lost body hair (but not pubic hair) and I significant lack density of beard hair (I have a full beard). User BeHappy confirmed the loss of body hair in his post - but this is no scientific research to be honest... we need a lot more feedback in this thread ;)

Where are the experienced physicians?