What are the limits of hair transplant?

I just joined the forum yesterday and have been researching extensively. Prior to that I had talked to 2 local clinics in Seattle area. I am in early 40s with Nordwood 5 loss, programmed to reach Norwood 6. I am planning to get a transplant in next few months from either Dr Wong@Vancouver or Dr Gabel@Portland. I have few questions

1. Based on previous local consultations, I have been advised 2500 grafts for front and 1200 for crown. Does it sound about right? I can share my hair pictures if that helps.

2. FUE vs FUT - Costs aside, is FUE a clear winner given it leaves no scars? Should patient make this decision or let a great doctor decide and simply follow their advice.

3. Curious about bald people. For example, look at Jeff Bezos, richest person in the world. He is completely bald. Such people have unlimited resources. Do they stay bald because they don't care? Or because there are limits to what hair restoration can do?

You'll likely need more than one procedure, but the number of grafts you've been quoted would be a nice start for setting a foundation.

FUE is NOT scarless, this notion needs to be abandoned, all surgery leaves scar tissue, good surgeons mitigate it but the way your own physiology responds to scarring is out of a doctor's hands even when they're elite.

As far as FUT and FUE is concerned, in your case it will be about maximizing donor hair, which to be candid, lends itself to FUT over FUE if you're a Norwood 5.

Hair restoration is not appropriate for advanced hair loss if full coverage is your goal, it's why preventative treatment in tandem with a transplant is always recommended.

Your donor is finite and no transplant will ever be as full as your original hair, you're trusting an elite surgeon to create a cosmetic illusion of density and fullness, but nothing will ever match nature's original head of hair in terms of fullness.

Dr. Gabel is an empathetic surgeon, he'll shoot you straight too.

Ask him all these questions.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

I have researched the forum extensively. Many interesting and encouraging stories. And thanks for the feedback. I have been trying to find a case of an individual (in the results forum) whose hair loss is similar to mine. That would provide an idea of expected results for my case. I have attached 2 recent pics. Interested in hearing recommendation of a "close enough example". Thanks!

5b32f8b5650cc_2018-Now-2.thumb.jpg.5ad4fcce6ab18e592c2e6035f1513b09.jpg

5b32f8b591818_2018-Now-3.thumb.jpg.6d8f9697b2092912f3372aba4d0e4a17.jpg

Realistically, given your advanced crown loss, the greatest cosmetic benefit would come from focusing on restoring a hairline and frontal density and perhaps leaving the crown alone.

That's my unprofessional opinion at first glance and trying to be mindful of donor availability.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

3. Curious about bald people. For example, look at Jeff Bezos, richest person in the world. He is completely bald. Such people have unlimited resources. Do they stay bald because they don't care? Or because there are limits to what hair restoration can do?

How can one possibly know what's in the mind of Jeff Bezos? Sure he could afford the best transplant money can buy, but does he even *think* about his hair like you do? Everybody sees their body image in a different way or are wired differently. What matters is what you think about your hair/head/looks. Act on that.

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.