Is a 4500 Graft FUT Single Session A Good Idea?

My previous post had me trying to decide between Dr. Bloxham and Dr. Rahal. I've since submitted photos to and have spoken with a Hasson / Wong rep. The rep said that Dr. Hasson recommends a 4500 graft mega-session. I found this incredibly appealing because my hairline and crown would be addressed in one surgery and I would end up saving about $7000 due to the price drop after the first 2000 grafts. I would also achieve my result a full year sooner, as opposed to having 2 separate surgeries at the full graft price at Feller/Bloxham and waiting 2 years for my final result.

My question is, is a 4500 graft single mega-session more risky? Dr. Bernstein's site mentions that a large strip taken out in a single session can result in a wider scar, and also that there may be less growth of the transplanted grafts due to the amount of time they are out of the body. Is this something I should worry about, or is Dr. Hasson so good that this is not an issue when having surgery with him?

I appreciate the input.

I think these days 4,500 grafts is not even a real stretch and when I hear the word "mega-session" I imagine procedures of upwards of 5,000 grafts or more.

That being said, while I have seen a few cases where larger sessions have produced a single one session grand-slam home-run, based on my own experience and on viewing hundreds of results here over the years I prefer to have smaller sessions spaced out apart over time.

One reason is for graft survival, the larger the session the longer some of the grafts (the last grafts to be placed) will be outside of the body.

Second reason is that you don't really know how well your individual physiology is suited for a transplant until you actual have a surgery and wait a year for the results to come in.

In some rare cases people do have failed procedures due some physiology-related reasons, and after you've spent 4,500 grafts it's kind of too late to go back in time and undo what has been done.

Also even with 4,500 grafts well placed by an elite surgeon, you may need further touchups along the line anyway, so planning for a second HT is not a bad idea in terms of managing expectations and donor supply etc.

Personally I wouldn't have a single session greater than 3,500-4,000 grafts but that's just me.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

I guess I have some more questions to ask the Hasson rep. I need to find out if a technician works on placing the hairline grafts, while at the same time, another technician works on placing the crown grafts. If that were the case, it would seem that the time the grafts are out of the body would be greatly reduced, as opposed to first planting 2000 grafts in the hairline, and then moving on to planting the remaining 2500 in the crown.

These are excellent questions to ask for this case yes. You will want to know how many techs and how many years experience they have etc.

I'm sure H&W has their whole system in place to produce excellent results, but ask them as many pertinent & pressing questions as you can.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

A large strip can result in a wider scar, but that depends on the laxity of your scalp in the donor area. 4500 grafts in one session is a very common procedure size these days and definitely not at the extreme.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

• 1 month later...

451stroker ,

I had the same quote from Hasson and Wong except for 5,000 grafts and am in the same dilemma as you. Like Hsrp10 suggested I also agree to a 2 procedure approach. Im not sure if you mentioned your norwood pattern but Im a norwood 5. I want to be as conservative as possible because most people have only 10,000 grafts in their donor area. I would like to only use 5,000 grafts, look some what decent and forget about this whole male pattern baldness thing. :P I've been pretty set on Hasson and Wong but I really should get some more quotes. Let us know what you find out from the rep ; I didnt even think about the 2 technicians or 1 technician working on the hairline.

I’m around a Norwood 4. In the end, I decided to pass on H&W and to keep looking. I considered Dr. Rahal, Shapiro Medical Group and Dr. Cooley. In the end, I chose Dr. Cooley. I was impressed with all 3 clinics, but I chose Dr. Cooley because he is involved in the surgery and graft placement from beginning to end, is extensively involved in research and uses a holding solution for the grafts that can keep them alive for days outside the body. He also uses ACell in the grafts and in the donor wound to help prevent the formation of scar tissue. Also, Dr. Cooley doesn’t shave the recipient area and his prices are terrific for an elite hair transplant surgeon.

I’m around a Norwood 4. In the end, I decided to pass on H&W and to keep looking. I considered Dr. Rahal, Shapiro Medical Group and Dr. Cooley. In the end, I chose Dr. Cooley. I was impressed with all 3 clinics, but I chose Dr. Cooley because he is involved in the surgery and graft placement from beginning to end, is extensively involved in research and uses a holding solution for the grafts that can keep them alive for days outside the body. He also uses ACell in the grafts and in the donor wound to help prevent the formation of scar tissue. Also, Dr. Cooley doesn’t shave the recipient area and his prices are terrific for an elite hair transplant surgeon.

I had the same doctors shortlisted as you have. Like you i chose Dr Cooley in the end for exactly the same reasons as you have mentioned. He's a great guy and was with me for almost all of the surgery and was heavily involved throughout. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me. Well done in choosing a great doctor!!

• 2 weeks later...