Time transplanted hairs stay dormant...

Hi everyone,

I've got a question as can't seem to find an answer to this. AFter a hair transplant I understand the hairs stay dormant for up to 4 months once the original hair falls out but I was wondering if someone could explain to me why the hair stays dormant for such a long period of time? If the root pushes the old hair out, why do you not see growth pretty much straight away rather than months down the line?

Currently losing the transplanted hairs as coming up to a month after surgery and i'm not worried as I know this is meant to happen but just wondering why some patches look completely clear of hair now...

Thanks in advance!

Your hair naturally sheds cyclically and it typically stays dormant and doesn't sprout right back out immediately. So between the fact you've induced a level of trauma to the grafts by transplanting them and that they naturally are in a cyclical cycle of growth and dormancy, you don't get instant gratification.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

Your hair naturally sheds cyclically and it typically stays dormant and doesn't sprout right back out immediately. So between the fact you've induced a level of trauma to the grafts by transplanting them and that they naturally are in a cyclical cycle of growth and dormancy, you don't get instant gratification.

Ah, thank you very much for that, answers the question perfectly and never knew that so learnt something interesting too!

Have a read about the hair growth cycle. The telogen phase is when the follicle rests after the hair is shed and this dormant stage lasts approximately three months. After a follicle is transplanted, more often than not it enters the telogen phase and this is why the hairs will begin to grow at around three months after surgery.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com