Shedding timeline

Hi guys - I know that a lot has been written here regarding the growth timeline, but I'm curious about the timeline that most here began shedding their new grafts after HT surgery. The reason I'm curios is that I just had my second procedure with Shapiro Medical Group. My first time around, I kept virtually all of the grafts until about 3 weeks, then about 1/2 continued to grow and didn't shed at all.This time (surgery 13 days ago), about 1/2 the grafts seemed to be gone by 7 days and most of the rest, minus a few strays, seem to be gone now. I'm not really worried enough at this point to call them, as I know it will be a waiting game for the next few months anyways, but nonetheless curious enough (and just worried enoug) to ask you guys what your shedding experiences have been like? Anyone else loose a lot by one week but still get excellent regrowth later?

This go around, I had about 1200 to the frontal hairline just to thicken it up.

Both experiences at SMG have been really great btw - I obviously loved my first work enough to go back, and am hoping that my slight worries are needless.

Thoughts?

Edited by MikeTPA
Clarity/grammar

Both of the shedding timelines that you've seen for the two surgeries are normal. Your experience is not uncommon and is a good example of how there can be variety even for one HT patient. I see absolutely no reason to worry - you've had one good result already and I'm sure that you'll be happy with this one.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Most people began shedding between ten to 21 days post op.

After my last transplant, the shed was so subtle that I actually think it didn't happen heavily until at least a month plus after the procedure.

So long as you're not bleeding you can carry on with confidence that things are likely settling in very well.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

I'm wondering the same thing. I'm one month post op this week. I didn't shed at all the first couple of weeks. Then I started shedding a little in week 3, with the most in week 4 & continuing to lose some... which fits the timeline of shock loss from what I've read & heard about. In particular, it's mostly shedding from the spot where it bled the most during surgery, which is the right sideburn side... & it was pinkish when the hairs fell off, but the skin color is better now. That side also has more scar tissue, & I had PRP treatment. Should I be worried about enough hair growing back there? I'm trying not to worry, & there hasn't been any new bleeding... But the left side looks fine without as much loss :confused: I have a follow up appt soon, but I'd like to know from here as well.

2000 FUT with Dr Bernardino Arocha - August 2017

I'm wondering the same thing. I'm one month post op this week. I didn't shed at all the first couple of weeks. Then I started shedding a little in week 3, with the most in week 4 & continuing to lose some... which fits the timeline of shock loss from what I've read & heard about. In particular, it's mostly shedding from the spot where it bled the most during surgery, which is the right sideburn side... & it was pinkish when the hairs fell off, but the skin color is better now. That side also has more scar tissue, & I had PRP treatment. Should I be worried about enough hair growing back there? I'm trying not to worry, & there hasn't been any new bleeding... But the left side looks fine without as much loss :confused: I have a follow up appt soon, but I'd like to know from here as well.

I'd reach out to your doctor about all concerns, but IF you have shock loss it likely isn't permanent, unless it was hair already on its way out.

After ten days your odds of losing a graft are minuscule, and at this point, you'd have to surgically remove them as they're embedded.

I started shedding after about 2 weeks and by week 3 most of transplanted hair fell off. I'm reaching my month 2, so I still look bald where I had a transplant. I'm in the ugly duckling stage and it sucks. I look worse than I did before my OP.

I started shedding after about 2 weeks and by week 3 most of transplanted hair fell off. I'm reaching my month 2, so I still look bald where I had a transplant. I'm in the ugly duckling stage and it sucks. I look worse than I did before my OP.

You won't even remember it in the years to come, the change will require patience, but it will be so subtle and gradual that you yourself will need before and afters to remember in a few years.

Speegs - thanks for the reminder about patience, something I'm not good at. I also feel like I've just stepped into the ugly duckling phase. I was getting used to hair being there too soon, & though I expected some to fall out, I dunno why it bothered me over the weekend when a bunch of it came off while washing my hair. But I had already done some searches in this forum & Youtube videos about weekly updates & shockloss in the first month so I knew what to expect. And the hair was growing in that space, so at least I know the hair can grow there. I just need to stop thinking about it so much now & wait it out... It's hard not to, although work helps a little. I'm covering it anyway & no one has asked why I'm wearing scarves & hats all the time... Yet. I can't wait until beanie hat season, but not until it cools off here in Texas :cool:

Speegs - thanks for the reminder about patience, something I'm not good at. I also feel like I've just stepped into the ugly duckling phase. I was getting used to hair being there too soon, & though I expected some to fall out, I dunno why it bothered me over the weekend when a bunch of it came off while washing my hair. But I had already done some searches in this forum & Youtube videos about weekly updates & shockloss in the first month so I knew what to expect. And the hair was growing in that space, so at least I know the hair can grow there. I just need to stop thinking about it so much now & wait it out... It's hard not to, although work helps a little. I'm covering it anyway & no one has asked why I'm wearing scarves & hats all the time... Yet. I can't wait until beanie hat season, but not until it cools off here in Texas :cool:
I live in Austin, you'll make it.;)

Happy growing.

Haha, thanks. I live in Austin too actually. The dry air & allergies aren't helping much right now. The left side has started to shed more in the past week. Places that have recent shedding are more pinkish, then color clears up within a few days. I *think* some hair are slowly starting to grow on the right side again because you can tell the spots where the hairs were transplanted. But I honestly don't know how to tell when new hairs grow in, like men do that have shaved their heads & let it grow back in. Any observations about that are appreciated.

I live in Austin, you'll make it.;)

Happy growing.

• 3 years later...

Also wondering about shed timelines. I'm 17 days post-op and so far have no signs of shedding. My hair actually looks pretty good right now, it's very short, but it's dense and my scalp is not all that red. Is it common to hit the ugly duckling phase after 3+ weeks? Is it possible to get lucky and have no shedding?

Edited by shadowcast