1 month post-op panic! Help!

Guest Vineet

I posted my 2 day post-op picture after a HT with Dr. Keene at Shapiro Medical (2100 approx.)

I've noticed that since a couple of days, a few strands invariably fall off while shampooing, or in the sink. I know these are the new transplanted strands because they're extra thick and straight and short.

Also, as a result, there is appreciable difference now between the left half of the head and the right half. The graft density on the left half appears much lower than the right half. I'm assuming the hair on the right half will follow suit.

Is this shedding normal? I thought these new hair were genetically immune to balding. Will the hair regrow? Note that the new strands had started growing in length before some started falling out.

This is really depressing. Please help!

Vineet

I posted my 2 day post-op picture after a HT with Dr. Keene at Shapiro Medical (2100 approx.)

I've noticed that since a couple of days, a few strands invariably fall off while shampooing, or in the sink. I know these are the new transplanted strands because they're extra thick and straight and short.

Also, as a result, there is appreciable difference now between the left half of the head and the right half. The graft density on the left half appears much lower than the right half. I'm assuming the hair on the right half will follow suit.

Is this shedding normal? I thought these new hair were genetically immune to balding. Will the hair regrow? Note that the new strands had started growing in length before some started falling out.

This is really depressing. Please help!

Vineet

Vineet

After the grafts are transplanted, the hairs typically go into a dormant phase that lasts about 12 weeks (as Smoothy said).

You should have known that and expected that to happen, but obviously didn't. Somebody is not doing a good job of explaining the process BEFORE the surgery, and that's not good...!!!

Thanks guys! - I knew there would be no perceptible difference in appearance till around 6 months time but had no idea the strands grew for a couple weeks and then started shedding.

In defense of the clinic though, they did get back to my email in a couple hours (on Christmas day!) where the doctor explained how things would go in the next few months.

Guess I panicked too early. Thanks you guys!

• 3 weeks later...