Unsure what to do...

I'm currently 23 years old, and I'm litterally one day away from picking up my first prescription of Propecia. I was psyched to get this prescribed by my doctor, but I'm now confused as to whether I want to start this medication or not.

My Backgruond: My father and older brother have the same hairloss I see myself starting to develop. It's fading back pretty deep on the left and right side in the FRONT, and although my crown is doing good - I know it's only a matter of time before that starts going on me too. The difference between my father/older brother and me is, they hit puberty a lot earlier in life than I did. They both tell me, "you have WAY more hair than I did at 23," - but to me, it only makes sense that my thinning hair kick-started a few years later. This is where I'm at - I'm not completely losing a ton yet, but it's thinning - which honestly looks just as bad. I can see what I'm going to lose, and it sucks as much as it does for any man out there. I've already lost about 3 cenimeters on the left and right side above my forhead - and if it stopped right there, I could deal with it - but I know it won't. I can see it thinning on both sides up the side of my head, and the time to act is now.

- But how!? I'm not sure what's worth trying, and what could actually work for me. The reason I jumped into a dermotologist and shot for Propecia is because most people said, "hey - you should start while you're young to keep what you have that's thick." But not I'm reading articles about impotence - and check this out: When I got a small 1 week sample of Propecia from the dermotologist, I think I was already experiencing problems with 'decreased lebito." This is why I metioned, I'm not sure if I want to start using it all - not to mention, I still have NO idea how much it costs. If it's $100-$150 a month, that's way more than I can afford. I can afford that, but that's comparable to a car payment... A bill I can't possibly expect to pay for life.

- Also, I was told Propecia IS for life, so that's kind of a turn-off too, unless it works with zero side effects.

*What do you guys recommend based on my stories? My backs to the wall, and I feel like I need to start something that'll work NOW, while the majority on the top of my head is still in-tact. I deal with the mirror issues I've seen a lot of you mention - one mirror looks decent, while another hi-lites every angle of my thinning hair. Now I'm getting to a point though where the thinning is real, worse, and showing up in ANY light. What can I do - or better yet, what do you guys recommend??? I figure you'll tell "nobody can predict what will work for you," - but at a message board like this with frequent and experienced posters, I figured you could atleast give me like a "top 3" list of things that typically have good results.

Thanks a million - my hair depends on it lol.

I'm currently 23 years old, and I'm litterally one day away from picking up my first prescription of Propecia. I was psyched to get this prescribed by my doctor, but I'm now confused as to whether I want to start this medication or not.

My Backgruond: My father and older brother have the same hairloss I see myself starting to develop. It's fading back pretty deep on the left and right side in the FRONT, and although my crown is doing good - I know it's only a matter of time before that starts going on me too. The difference between my father/older brother and me is, they hit puberty a lot earlier in life than I did. They both tell me, "you have WAY more hair than I did at 23," - but to me, it only makes sense that my thinning hair kick-started a few years later. This is where I'm at - I'm not completely losing a ton yet, but it's thinning - which honestly looks just as bad. I can see what I'm going to lose, and it sucks as much as it does for any man out there. I've already lost about 3 cenimeters on the left and right side above my forhead - and if it stopped right there, I could deal with it - but I know it won't. I can see it thinning on both sides up the side of my head, and the time to act is now.

- But how!? I'm not sure what's worth trying, and what could actually work for me. The reason I jumped into a dermotologist and shot for Propecia is because most people said, "hey - you should start while you're young to keep what you have that's thick." But not I'm reading articles about impotence - and check this out: When I got a small 1 week sample of Propecia from the dermotologist, I think I was already experiencing problems with 'decreased lebito." This is why I metioned, I'm not sure if I want to start using it all - not to mention, I still have NO idea how much it costs. If it's $100-$150 a month, that's way more than I can afford. I can afford that, but that's comparable to a car payment... A bill I can't possibly expect to pay for life.

- Also, I was told Propecia IS for life, so that's kind of a turn-off too, unless it works with zero side effects.

*What do you guys recommend based on my stories? My backs to the wall, and I feel like I need to start something that'll work NOW, while the majority on the top of my head is still in-tact. I deal with the mirror issues I've seen a lot of you mention - one mirror looks decent, while another hi-lites every angle of my thinning hair. Now I'm getting to a point though where the thinning is real, worse, and showing up in ANY light. What can I do - or better yet, what do you guys recommend??? I figure you'll tell "nobody can predict what will work for you," - but at a message board like this with frequent and experienced posters, I figured you could atleast give me like a "top 3" list of things that typically have good results.

Thanks a million - my hair depends on it lol.

Unfortunately there is no perfect solution. Each of the things that is proven to be effective has drawbacks. For the HT option there is the up-front cost, limited donor availability and resultant scar. For propecia it is potential side effects. You should absolutely be aware of possible side effects of propecia. I don't know if this gives you any confidence but propecia is an FDA approved product for treating hair loss in the US which means that the authorities have decided the side effects are an acceptable risk. This is the choice you have to make yourself. If you are unsure search for propecia on this forum and you will find many discussions about this.

I'm not sure if you have tried minoxidil. I have read that that is most effective in your patients who have been losing hair for less than 5 years so you might be a good candidate. Propecia should not cost nearly what you stated. Maybe someone else will comment on what they are paying. I think in the UK high street it works out to around $50-60/month but cheaper online. Some people try to get a proscar prescrip then split the 5mg tabs into quarters. It is the same chemical med in a higher dose for prostate cancer sufferers and this can also help reduce the cost.

You can let nature take its course or you can try to maintain what you have for a while longer. Eventually though, you probably will be at the same norwood level as your dad and brother.

If I were in your shoes, I would contact the dermatologist who wrote you the script for Propecia and ask for a script for generic proscar which is significantly cheaper. You will need to cut proscar into fourths and take for four days and skip the fifth, that way you are getting the 1mg a day dosage similar to Propecia at about $70 for four months. Explain the cost benefit to the derm and they should understand this. And if they won't write you a new one, call around and find a derm that will, but it will require you to go in for another office visit.

Secondly, I would go out and buy generic minoxidil liquid (cheaper than foam) and you can buy it at Walmart, Target, Costco, Sam's Club, etc. Begin applying in the evenings. I would say to not use it in the morning yet as it makes your hair greasy and unmanageable during the day.

These are two things you can do and yes it is for life and when you stop using them anything you have maintained will be lost.

Good luck in what you decide to do. Remember that the generics have the same efficacy as the branded, so no worries there. Good Luck!

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

*Thanks for the quick replies guys - every piece of info I get my hands on will help. I'm still unsure what to do - but you've sparked some new questions.

- I want to talk results. From Rogain Foam to monoxodil - have any of you personally used these on a daily basis and got solid results? It sounds like the 'liquid minoxodil' would be a good thing to try - because I actually shave my head, (like most hair-loss sufferers,) - so I don't think the 'greasy' look would be much of an issue.

- You mentioned to apply the minoxodil in the evenings. Would it make sense that 'overkilling' and appyling it 2-3 times a day would HELP - or would that most likely have a worse effect from over-exposure?

- How much is the liquid minoxodil, US dollars? Also, does the liquid minoxodil help KEEP WHAT I HAVE, or actually result in re-growth?

- Re-growth and 'mainting what I have' are two seperate things. I'd like re-grow my thinning areas - what's best for re-growth as opposed to maining? Is re-growth even realitic with anything, (including propecia.) ?

*Thanks again - You don't understand how good it feels to chat with people who CARE. I try to talk to family members, friends, and they think I'm insane and never want to listen. Even worse - they never want to actually LOOK. I'm sure we all deal with this...