Dr. Blake Bloxham (NY): "A Day in the Life" PATIENT II: 2,740 crown HT

"A Day in the Life," Patient II:

Last week, I had a pretty standard day at the office: 3,200 graft FUT mega-session and an afternoon of follow-ups and consult appointments. What was interesting about this day, however, is that 3 of those appointments were back-to-back result follow-ups.

I thought each of the patients was a solid example of the "everyday" patient we see at a busy hair transplant clinic. Not the crazy, 5,000 + graft NW VI to NW I transformations or the extreme dense-packed hairline restorations on minimal thinning patients, but great examples of what the average patient can expect from a hair transplant. Common cases with good, solid results. And because of this, I thought it would be helpful to share these with the community.

So I'm sharing these patients as they came in to the clinic -- even in the same order. I think this may provide an interesting "day in the life" perspective and give the average potential hair transplant patient an idea of what they can expect.

Click here to see Patient I: 2,500 graft frontal HT at 12 months

So the second patient is in his 40s with a past history of hair transplants in the frontal and mid-scalp (he would have a very high NW pattern otherwise; one transplant session done elsewhere, one done here). He underwent two passes to the crown -- remember: it's the "black hole" of grafts. The first was a 1,640 graft pass to reinforce his native whorl (in the upper and lower crown); and the second was an 1,100 graft pass to thicken the upper portion of the crown and address some thinning right in front of area previously transplanted. He returned 9 months after the second transplant, and looked quite mature for a patient only 9 months out from a crown case -- the crown matures very slowly compared to the front; I usually don't fully evaluate until 18 months.

I think this is a good example of what patients can expect from a crown. They do require a lot of strategy and grafts (and they aren't advisable for all patients), but they can make a big cosmetic impact in an area that bothers a lot of patients.

Below are his 9 month images. The lighting conditions are less standardized than I'd like them to be -- it was a very busy day -- and the patient does have some oily build-up that is visible in a few images (and I can share some more zoomed in close-ups if people would like to see them). But another good example of what the average patient with general crown thinning can expect from a crown case.

2diq360.jpg

2ptnyvc.jpg

2meemn7.jpg

20fp82b.jpg

midld2.jpg

Stay tuned for patient III.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

• 2 weeks later...

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

nice post, thanks for sharing.

The crown is a scary prospect for anyone considering HT surgery, particularly if young. Mine is still high with no signs of thinning down the back (yet?), though is thin in the "wide areas". Can't work out whether it will thin further down. If it did, I don't htink I can justify HT surgery as so many grafts are required for that one area alone.

If I were an HT clinic, I'd be looking hard for an innovation specifically for the crown area - something synthetic or god knows what. Take it out the equation and every result is a home run.