Overactive Sebaceous Glands & FUE

Shuriken

Hi everyone. First of all forgive me if I posted this one on the wrong section since I pretty much do not post. :P

I would like to know if there are any solutions to greasy scalp and hair. The last time I had a check up, my doctor told me that I have overactive sebacious glands which is caused by diet, lifestyle and stress. Personally I don't exactly know the cause but I tried changing my diet and lifestyle and worry less but nothing seemed to work. My hair has been thinning since 2010.

Now that I am planning to have a hair transplant, I do worry that it will all go to waste. If my scalp is greasy then what is the probability that the transplanted hair will grow thick? If the soil is not of good quality then how will the planted seeds grow?

Thank you so much. I hope someone can relate to do this before I consider FUE. :o

Shuriken,

Increased sebum or overactive sebaceous glands are very common in patients suffering from androgenic alopecia (AGA) -- genetic male pattern hair loss. Not only is there an associated between the increase in the size and activity of the sebaceous glands in AGA, but there is also less hair to "soak up" these oil substances being continuously created by the glands under your skin. This means more greasy sebum appearing on the scalp and less hair to soak it up and clear it away.

This is not a contraindication to a hair transplant, and I've actually seen many patients report less of this phenomenon after a transplant because they have new hairs to soak up the oils.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Although the DR could be right regarding AGA, I also like to add many people who don't suffer AGA have overactive sebaceous glands, I think your own DR is correct in saying stress and anxiety can cause these glands to work overtime, Also since I've been taking Avodart I saw a decrease in the sebum on my scalp so I don't know is it lowers it in some way, perhaps DR Bloxham can clarify, hopes this helps

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you so much for the response, and I'm so sorry for the late reply.

So it is safe to say that I can proceed with my HT?

I do not know where the stress is in my life, only I can respond to this. My sebaceous glands have been super active since I was young. I also avoid greasy food and I even eat less meat now.

Thank you so much for the response, and I'm so sorry for the late reply.

So it is safe to say that I can proceed with my HT?

I do not know where the stress is in my life, only I can respond to this. My sebaceous glands have been super active since I was young. I also avoid greasy food and I even eat less meat now.

Your surgical clinic should be aware of this condition for any possible post-op concerns.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians