How many grafts do I need?

Early 40's Asian male looking to get an FUE procedure done soon. Currently with my hair loss I am unable to grow my hair out beyond 1-2 millimeters without it appearing patchy and uneven. It looks terrible when grown out even 1 inch. I'm only concerned with the front sides as they are by far the worst.

I've been on propecia for maybe 3-4 years and I also wear a laser helmet regularly so I believe based on historical pictures, that my balding is under control.

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpg.1786c70701bad896766945a22a4a4140.jpg

FullSizeRender-2.jpg.dab343b736953af355fe31afdd910e0a.jpg

FullSizeRender-5.jpg.ceddf63f47384207a54cb96e48c45459.jpg

It's much easier to tell if your hair was a bit longer, but I think you could benefit from 2000 grafts or perhaps more to restore your temples and strengthen your hairline. It would depend on how strong the central part of your hairline is once grown out.

Your temple points (the areas at the side of your hair, at the front, closest to your eyebrows) appear to be strong.

How many years have you been losing hair for? At what age did you first notice it?

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

• 3 months later...
It's much easier to tell if your hair was a bit longer, but I think you could benefit from 2000 grafts or perhaps more to restore your temples and strengthen your hairline. It would depend on how strong the central part of your hairline is once grown out.

Your temple points (the areas at the side of your hair, at the front, closest to your eyebrows) appear to be strong.

How many years have you been losing hair for? At what age did you first notice it?

Hi Matt, sorry for the late response. I believe the central part is fairly strong, although I'm sure it's thinning out as well.

I've been losing my hair since my early 20's although it wasn't visible to me until my late 20's. I'm now in my early 40's. So a little late to the game, although I've been using Propecia for about 3-4 years and also wearing a laser helmet for about that length of time as well. But those things at best slow the hair loss down, so I'm ready for an FUE.

A few surgeons (recommended on this forum) have told me 2,000-2,500 with most thinking 2,500 is closer to what I need to fill in the front. But just wondering what others think.

Too many factors unknown here, such as your hair characteristics, that buzz cut disguises your density and prevents us from knowing the full extent of thinning as well.

Ballpark number for that type of deep recession would be 3000 at least in order to get convincing density.

Very likely you'll need two procedures to restore hairline and frontal third density.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016