Smokers and FUE - Please Advise

Hello,

I would appreciate if any smokers who have gone through HT can respond to this. Also please refrain from general health effects advice, I am hoping for your opinion specifically related to my HT. I used to be a regular smoker and quit a month before my procedure. 9 days after up to 14 days I had 2-3 cigs and thereafter I started regular smoking because I fell weak. What are the chances my surgery is ruined due to my weakness in starting again? Will no new hair grow now?

Also it's been 3 and half weeks now and scabs are out but there is quite a bit transplanted hair still on the recipient area that has not shed. Do you think the smoking killed the grafts and that's why this is happening?

I did 4000 grafts. Please let me know your thoughts. Please see attached picture as well.

Thanks in advance everyone!

IMG_0232.thumb.jpg.a03bbe75df3503f98871893692cdc935.jpg

I smoked for first 3 weeks of hair transplant and smoked for 2 years before that. I have now not smoked for over 4 months and my hair is coming in nicely and I had transplant just under 5 months ago. It's ofcourse my unprofessional opinion but I don't think their is conclusive evidence that smoking ruins a hair transplant. It's just best to not smoke cause it could only hurt your transplant not help it. Check my recent forum posts for pics. Good luck quitting by the way.

I smoked for first 3 weeks of hair transplant and smoked for 2 years before that. I have now not smoked for over 4 months and my hair is coming in nicely and I had transplant just under 5 months ago. It's ofcourse my unprofessional opinion but I don't think their is conclusive evidence that smoking ruins a hair transplant. It's just best to not smoke cause it could only hurt your transplant not help it. Check my recent forum posts for pics. Good luck quitting by the way.

I think that's a great description! Smoking may affect healing after any type of surgery by by constricting blood vessels and hindering blood flow. But, it's not certain to do this in every case. You may experience no ill effects whatsoever.

In the end, following your physicians advice regarding smoking before and after surgery is advisable. It's always your best bet to obtaining the best possible results.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website