Some questions I need help with. Take a look!

1. It seems like dutasteride is more effective than finasteride (refer to link 1). Why dont I hear enough on dutastride? Apparently it can prevent up to 98% of DHT conversion while finasteride can prevent 73% max. It seems like most people rely on finasteride. Isn't dutasteride basically better?

2. Most of my thinning is in the frontal region of my scalp. Should I apply minoxidil on the entire scalp or only on the affected areas?

3. Does shedding necessarily mean balding? Doesn't the process of male pattern baldness include the thinning of the follicle THEN it falling from the scalp? My shedding hairs seem to be dense. I feel like I go through intense shedding phases every 4 months or so. Am I possibly OK despite all of this shedding?

4. What happens if I increase my dusteride or finasteride doses from .5mg to .75mg and 1mg to 1.5mg daily, respectively? The daily recommended dose for dusteride is .5mg and 1mg for finasteride I believe. I am currently on finasteride.

5. My non-surgical regimen is as follows: 1. 1mg of generic finasteride daily, 2. 2ml of generic 5% minoxidil (1ml in the am and 1ml in the pm), 3. Ketoconazole 2% shampoo (2X per week). I'm thinking of adding the following: saw palmetto (not sure on the dosage), 10,000mcg biotin daily, and the use of a derma roller. Is this excessive?

Please provide reasoning with any answer you might have. Thanks!

Link 1:

https://www.bernsteinmedical.com/resources/hair-restoration-papers/dutasteride-vs-finasteride/

You don't want to eliminate DHT from your system altogether, it's a natural and needed hormone, you just want to curb its excesses that attack your hair follicles if genetically predisposed to be sensitive to its presence.

It's also my understanding that side effects can be a little more acute in dutasteride than finasteride.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dihydrotestosterone

The frontal region is less receptive to preventative treatments from finasteride, but it is not altogether futile, odds are you are preserving your crown and vertex with the treatment.

Minoxidil is worth trying on the front, it has helped growth across the scalp in clinical trials, keep in mind that if miniaturization is so extreme that baldness is apparent and hair is lacking and not merely shrunk, then the odds of Minoxidil reviving the hair are slim.

Shedding can be seasonal, humans do that, so don't panic too much. Try to assess the quality of the hair shed, if it isn't miniaturized then it is probably coming back intact later.

With clinical guidance, upping a finasteride dosage is fine.Taking a third or half of a 5mg finasteride tablet daily is what some people do. But check with a physician's advice beforehand to see if there are't any other underlying things to address with your health.

I am not a physician so do NOT act on my advice without professional medical consultation.

I do not think your regimen is excessive, but I do think you are stressed, and am curious about your dietary regimen.

Please seek medical consultation for definitive examination by either a dermatologist, GP, or a hair restoration surgeon.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

Your treatment regimen is very thorough. Stick with what you've been doing. 1mg finasteride daily, minoxidil 2x daily and keto shampoo 2x a week is great. I'd apply the minox only in the thinning areas. I would keep this regimen up. Changing to dutusteride could cause bad side effects. You are already shedding. Dut could make it worse.

• 2 weeks later...
1. It seems like dutasteride is more effective than finasteride (refer to link 1). Why dont I hear enough on dutastride? Apparently it can prevent up to 98% of DHT conversion while finasteride can prevent 73% max. It seems like most people rely on finasteride. Isn't dutasteride basically better?

2. Most of my thinning is in the frontal region of my scalp. Should I apply minoxidil on the entire scalp or only on the affected areas?

3. Does shedding necessarily mean balding? Doesn't the process of male pattern baldness include the thinning of the follicle THEN it falling from the scalp? My shedding hairs seem to be dense. I feel like I go through intense shedding phases every 4 months or so. Am I possibly OK despite all of this shedding?

4. What happens if I increase my dusteride or finasteride doses from .5mg to .75mg and 1mg to 1.5mg daily, respectively? The daily recommended dose for dusteride is .5mg and 1mg for finasteride I believe. I am currently on finasteride.

5. My non-surgical regimen is as follows: 1. 1mg of generic finasteride daily, 2. 2ml of generic 5% minoxidil (1ml in the am and 1ml in the pm), 3. Ketoconazole 2% shampoo (2X per week). I'm thinking of adding the following: saw palmetto (not sure on the dosage), 10,000mcg biotin daily, and the use of a derma roller. Is this excessive?

Please provide reasoning with any answer you might have. Thanks!

Link 1:

https://www.bernsteinmedical.com/resources/hair-restoration-papers/dutasteride-vs-finasteride/

Dutasteride blocks more pathways of DHT. Minoxidil has worked more effectively when used with finasteride. Photos of shedding could be useful to determine what is happening, especially if you continue to notice shedding and use different treatments in your regimen. Medical therapy takes a commitment. You might want to consider platelet-rich plasma.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians