My story and advice needed for which FUE surgeon to go with

whyohwhy12345

Hi all hair loss brothers,

I have been browsing this forum for a while and recently I am getting serious about getting a hair transplant myself.

I am from Vietnam (not sure if there is any Vietnamese else on this site) and I am 25-year-old. I know it sucks to lose hair for anyone but for me, being an Asian young guy and losing hair just makes the matter worse. We Asian guys usually have a very thick head of hair and the majority of us did not experience any signs of balding before we hit 35 at least. My dad still maintain a dark and full head of hair just like he was in his 20s (no exaggeration really). I guess my balding gene comes from the maternal side as her father and two brothers all experienced certain degrees of hair loss in the similar pattern with me (more on that later). None of them is complete bald though.

Some details about my hair loss: I began losing hair about 5 years ago. As of now, my temples receded and my hair on top has thinned quite a lot (not sure if I am a diffuse thinner as well, need your opinions). On a lucky note, I do not think my hair loss is that aggressive compared to others and I also do not have a lot of sheddings everyday, just getting thinner every year lol. About treatments, I have used Minoxidil for 8 months and Finasteride for 1 month.

My goals for the transplant are:

1. restore my natural hairline (I do not need to lower my forehead any bit)

2. add density to my existing hairs to create a fuller + thicker hair and this is far more important. The reason is even though I have not had any bald spot, my hair is already quite thin and it is becoming increasingly difficult to style my hair. And the worst is, after much time of styling, if I have to wear a hat or a helmet, my hair is ruined. Because it lacks density, it just falls flat and looks terrible.

But I have some concerns, is is possible to implant grafts in and between my native hair to add density? Is permanent shock loss a possibility?

So I send my pictures to different doctors to have their recommendations on my case.

At first, I considered having a transplant in Thailand as it would be more convenient. However, two highly recommended Thai doctors, Dr. Path and Dr. Pong, are more into FUT according to my research. A rather new one, Dr. Kongkiat Laorwong, has been doing more FUE procedures lately with good results. I contacted but he suggested 1500 grafts to restore the front hairline only. He said that the top is only mild thinning and he would not touch that part. So I am not convinced as what I really want is restore density on hair on top. I also attached his recommended hairline below.

So I looked for other options. So far, my considerations are:

1. Dr. Erdogan: very good results at good price. I am only concerned about his high graft quote. I have not received their answer back despite sending my pictures 3 days ago.

2. Dr. Resul Yaman. He quoted me 2700 grafts (1700 in the front and 1000 in midscalp and vertex to increase density). I am more convinced by his suggestion and also he said it is possible to implant grafts into my native hair to add density.

Another options are Dr. Demirsoy in Turkey and Dr. Bhatti in India but I need to look into their work a bit more.

Honestly, my first choice is Dr. Erdogan but I am afraid he would quote a very high number of graft which makes him not so affordable any more. Dr. Yaman also seems to be a good option right now. So what do you guys think? Which FUE surgeon should I go with? Any other doctors that I should consider?

Also, I cannot afford a price higher than €2.5 per graft (Dr. Erdogan's price).

Thank you for the long read and please let me know your opinions.

5b32f1e28ba92_front2.jpg.3b52c7d12b05723ba569fc57b6b42ce1.jpg

front.thumb.jpg.c1adc071c1112bf04121291ba8b9e2a0.jpg

top.thumb.jpg.f3a4e1aa52ee136279b796e104c9e422.jpg

5b32f1e319f9e_wet1.thumb.jpg.5bf723eae71de36294fc7a7dc5bd5233.jpg

5b32f1e380bd4_wet2.thumb.jpg.b26882550f1021f3cafbcceb8c1d622c.jpg

donor.thumb.jpg.45fb9e357a808dc15bf162359430ba1e.jpg

5b32f1e3acec3_donorclear.jpg.c68194ac0a2e644b27ed8f41ea0d9702.jpg

5b32f1e3be8ed_DrYaman.jpg.9ac757d73b9c0e377984d1f4538da0c0.jpg

5b32f1e3d3706_Dr.Kongkiat.thumb.jpg.730b0e04e2b382c6d5da6e154033624b.jpg

Hey man welcome to the forum,

I have read some of your replies in other threads as well as your post here and you seem to have a good head on your shoulders and an overall good understanding of FUE etc.

Which is a great start.

From those two surgeons I like Dr. Erdogan as the clear favorite as the other does not have enough consistent home run results for me to jump out and recommend him.

However, I do agree with what you wrote and ASMED will most likely quote you around 4,000-4,500 grafts at least.

It's also good to hear that you are on meds including Fin. This will help you as long as you can avoid the side effects.

Looking at your photos, the donor_clear pic makes me think you could end up as a NW7 eventually.

Therefore I would rethink your plan and go with FUT first to maximize your lifetime donor supply.

If you really want to proceed with a HT.

The risk of scar stretching/widening is there so this will have to be taken into consideration.

I have attached a pic of what I would call your safe donor supply area in red and there is not a lot of it unfortunately.

I'm not sure how many total grafts you would have but I don't think it would be much more than 5,000-6,000.

I hope you're not entirely against FUT. Also staying on Fin a year or two then proceeding might also be a better idea.

And one other consideration is to just shave or buzz your head and see if you can pull the look off.

That may be the best thing to do, but we can help you discuss all of your options here.

donor_20clear.jpg.1f9bd4faa6c3cc5d52e937e89ab1f155.jpg

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

I have read some of your replies in other threads as well as your post here and you seem to have a good head on your shoulders and an overall good understanding of FUE etc.

Which is a great start.

From those two surgeons I like Dr. Erdogan as the clear favorite as the other does not have enough consistent home run results for me to jump out and recommend him.

However, I do agree with what you wrote and ASMED will most likely quote you around 4,000-4,500 grafts at least.

It's also good to hear that you are on meds including Fin. This will help you as long as you can avoid the side effects.

Looking at your photos, the donor_clear pic makes me think you could end up as a NW7 eventually.

Therefore I would rethink your plan and go with FUT first to maximize your lifetime donor supply.

The risk of scar stretching/widening is there so this will have to be taken into consideration.

I have attached a pic of what I would call your safe donor supply area in red and there is not a lot of it unfortunately.

I'm not sure how many total grafts you would have but I don't think it would be much more than 5,000-6,000.

I hope you're not entirely against FUT. Also staying on Fin a year or two then proceeding might also be a better idea.

And one other consideration is to just shave or buzz your head and see if you can pull the look off.

That may be the best thing to do, but we can help you discuss all of your options here.

This is excellent advice which thoughtfully considers the OP's future as well. Couldn't agree more.

Which is a great start.

Yeah that picture did really scare me quite a bit because I never thought I would become slick bald on top someday. I have no one in my family who lost all their hairs on top. Yeah they lost hair and thinning but their hair losses are age-appropriate and none of them advanced to NW 6-7.

And also I have not had significant loss on the crown (no one told me that before, just noticing about my temples receding). From my picture it seems like my hair is thinned from crown to the back which is not very common, right ? Does any of you guys have similar pattern of the donor like me?

I will try to retake some pictures of my donor for better judgements. I just buzzed my head a couple days ago and I looked horrible lol.

Don't rush into anything here, though I know it's bothering you, most of us have been in a similar situation at some point.

I had a HT in my 20's that I regret with Bosley (things are much better for you guys now fortunately) and in hindsight I rushed the decision.

Plan it well and take future hair loss into consideration.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

Don't rush into anything here, though I know it's bothering you, most of us have been in a similar situation at some point.

I had a HT in my 20's that I regret with Bosley (things are much better for you guys now fortunately) and in hindsight I rushed the decision.

Plan it well and take future hair loss into consideration.

Yeah thats why I try to be very careful. Did you have FUT back then? and what stage of Norwood are you in now?

Also, if I take Fin and it works (i think i read somewhere it works on about 90% guys), it could help me maintain my hair even though I am destinied for high Norwood case right ?

Yeah thats why I try to be very careful. Did you have FUT back then? and what stage of Norwood are you in now?

Also, if I take Fin and it works (i think i read somewhere it works on about 90% guys), it could help me maintain my hair even though I am destinied for high Norwood case right ?

Yes it was a 1,000 graft FUT of which I never saw any major regrowth at all and it left me with a horrible scar from Bosely, I later had grafts placed into the scar and SMP which has made it disappear basically.

I would say now after all of my smaller procedures I am a NW 2 with a slightly high forehead. I started out as somewhere between NW 2A-NW3 with a really gaping forehead and loss of much of my hairline but I was fortunate not to have suffered much in my vertex or crown.

I do believe if you can stay on Finasteride without side effects long-term it will definitely make a great difference, so give it some time.

Really may be best to continue to research HT's but not have the surgery for another 1-2 years until you can see how much Fin is working.

go dense or go home

Reach out to David to activate the PM feature on your account, it's off by default due to the influx of spammers in recent years.

Hopefully he'll see this.

Hair Restoration Social Network ? Community for and by Hair Loss Patients - David - Moderator's Profile

go dense or go home

Reach out to David to activate the PM feature on your account, it's off by default due to the influx of spammers in recent years.

Hopefully he'll see this.

Hair Restoration Social Network ? Community for and by Hair Loss Patients - David - Moderator's Profile

Hi, how can I reach him if I cant send friend request, private message or comment in any way lol.

If any moderators on this forum see this please active my private message mode, i am not a spammer I promise.

Bumping once again..

Fingers crossed David notices it.

go dense or go home

• 4 months later...

hi whyohwhy12345, I'm from Vietnam as well and I'm considering having a hair transplant surgery soon, my case is really similar to yours and I'm 24, I sent you a private message asking for experiences but it seems like you no longer go on this forum. :(

You could definitely benefit from a procedure to restore your hairline and add density. I can understand your desire to get back the styling options that are lost once the hairline recedes. Your donor area is slightly worrying though. It looks like your balding pattern does include thinning down into the borders of your donor area and perhaps into the safe zone itself.

There is a huge difference between the first photo of your donor area and the other photos you added. It goes to show what a difference lighting can make. Also, being Asian, your hair is very straight and this allows light to reach down between the hairs to the scalp and this makes hair look thinner. My hair is very straight so I have plenty of experience with this.

Ideally you would meet your surgeon in person, but if you're sending photos please do make sure you show your donor area in as much detail as possible.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com